cleaning home carpet

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone used the machines that you rent at the grocery stores or hardware stores to clean the carpet in their home. The only time I have ever used them is when I have been moving out of a rental unit, so I never see the lasting affect. I was just wondering if I should use one of these or call a professional to do it. Do people use the pros because they don't want to do the work or is because it does a better job? I don't mind doing it myself but I want it to look good and last. Any thoughts?

mscher

Lieutenant
Re: cleaning home carpet

Any carpet will stay clean until someone starts walking on it ;)

I have used the Rug Doctor types and the Rinse&Vac types and they both work fine, for normal cleaning. If you have tough stains, then you will have to fight that battle from a different front.

They do leave the carpet damp, so give it a little time to dry, before use. We set s floor fan to speed the drying process.

We do not. however, buy the cleaner that they sell with the rentals, which is quite expensive. We use diluted liquid laundry detergent, or some other NON-FOAMING cleaner. If you use dish soap or other foaming cleaner, you will end up with a foamy mess fit for some old TV comedy.

Good luck

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

NO SUDS that is the key. Dishwasher soap like cascade is non foaming.

Personally..... I bite the bullet and use what the store sells. It may be more money but it is available. It's not a chore anyone does weekly so when you figure the cost it's not too bad.

If you have a good shop vac that normally helps extract some moisture too.

I have used the grocery store units and they work okay...... not great but acceptable.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I borrowed one of the jumbo Rug Doctors from my boss last week. Why he bought it, I'll never know, but it did a good job on my carpet, which had not been cleaned in a few years and was getting nasty. Stains from spills, my dirt driveway, the wood stove all took its toll. It is much better now. The trick is to just go slow with the machine and use scorching hot water with the soap.

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

A lot of the people I talked to said to make sure you use scotch guard. I looked at the rentals at home depot today . They dont even sell scotch guard. The guy there told me that the solution they sell does not require scotch guard. any opinions?

i386

Captain

Like other's have said, we've used them a few times with good results. We always bought their soap. The do leave the carpet pretty damp. It was pretty disgusting seeing what it sucked out of our carpet.

puddle jumper

Captain

A freand of mine has a carpet cleaning buisnes.When he does my carpets thay do come out better than when i do it and he takes the mess with him.
He also has the pro equitment and cleaners.The home rentals work well but take your time and overlap your passes.Its like any job well done it takes time.

mscher

Lieutenant

A lot of the people I talked to said to make sure you use scotch guard. I looked at the rentals at home depot today . They dont even sell scotch guard. The guy there told me that the solution they sell does not require scotch guard. any opinions?

Seems like it would take a lot of cans of Scotchguard to do a carpeted room or two. I have used it on auto upolstery, but didn't really notice any difference. I believe it was pretty expensive, around $4 a spray can.

Scotchguard is really more for deep stain protection, that to keep carpets clean. Most stains usually come out pretty easy, if you get to them before they set. Some newer carpets are already "Scotchguarded".