Cleaning gas tank?

banderberg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a '91 Larson All American and I'm trying to determine what the fuel tank is made of - is it possible for it to have rust inside of it, and also how to tell if it needs to be cleaned out, and if so how to actually clean it. I can connect a hose to the gas line and siphon out the gas through the drain plug hole but I have no idea how to actually clean out the tank, if it needs it. It did sit for two years with half a tank of gas of unknown quality in it that did have stabil in it originally.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... To be honest, the best way to deal with that is,......
Change the fuel filter(spin-on type) as often as needed, til the issue goes away,.....

banderberg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ayuh,..... To be honest, the best way to deal with that is,......
Change the fuel filter(spin-on type) as often as needed, til the issue goes away,.....
Thanks, I just installed a fuel water separator. I assume that's what you're referring to. I'll do that thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It did sit for two years with half a tank of gas of unknown quality in it that did have stabil in it originally.
what is left in the tank is no longer fuel.

pull the gauge sending unit and look in the hole. it will tell you if you need to clean the tank

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Like Scott said, pull sending unit, can use trailer jack to tilt fuel towards the sender location, pump out what is in there and inspect the tank. The water separator is a good idea.

banderberg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Like Scott said, pull sending unit, can use trailer jack to tilt fuel towards the sender location, pump out what is in there and inspect the tank. The water separator is a good idea.

I don't know where the sending unit is. I'll see if I can find out.

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is the tank completely covered? No access ports? Pic?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Your fuel tank is probably made of aluminum, if original to that year boat. If you boat is fresh water, it is likely in good shape without any corrosion or rust.

Steel fuel tanks were usually not used after the 70's. Plastic tanks started being used in the 90's.