Cleaning fishing rods

airshot

Rear Admiral
I do a lot of yellow perch fishing and we use emerald shinner minnows as bait and there scales come off and stick to anything and everything. Once dried they are very tough to remove, to the point of having to scrape them off my rods. Some of the rods have cork handles, so anyone have a good method of cleaning the rods and handles ?? Thought this boring winter might be a good time to see if all those scales can be removed more easily. Thanks in advance..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I do a lot of yellow perch fishing and we use emerald shinner minnows as bait and there scales come off and stick to anything and everything. Once dried they are very tough to remove, to the point of having to scrape them off my rods. Some of the rods have cork handles, so anyone have a good method of cleaning the rods and handles ?? Thought this boring winter might be a good time to see if all those scales can be removed more easily. Thanks in advance..
IMG_3068.jpeg

Dishwashing soap and a soft scrub sponge or denatured alcohol on a paper towel works great on cork and EVA.

If a customer’s rod is too bad, I chuck them in the rod lathe and hit them lightly with dry wall sanding screen.
Once dry, apply per instructions

Don’t forget to clean the blanks and wraps as well. Soap and water to clean the rods. Apply a coat of wax when dry.

Collinite #485 insulator wax is easy to use and does a great job

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Dishwasher works well
You must have one big dishwasher to get a 7' rod in there, or mabey you were refering to the person that does the dishes as the " dishwasher" ....my wife is dissabled so I am the sole dishwasher, so I will be cleaning my own rods, so in some respects, being the dishwasher in our house, the dishwasher will be cleaning my fishing rods !!! LOL....

DeepCMark58A

Commander
You must have one big dishwasher to get a 7' rod in there, or mabey you were refering to the person that does the dishes as the " dishwasher" ....my wife is dissabled so I am the sole dishwasher, so I will be cleaning my own rods, so in some respects, being the dishwasher in our house, the dishwasher will be cleaning my fishing rods !!! LOL....

Sorry living in Minnesota I was thinking of ice fishing poles. Only time I use minnows for bait.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I would not recommend washing a rod of any value in the shower. Sooner or later, moisture gets under the finish, reel seat and grips causing problems.

Moisture get under the seat and grips causes the cardboard and tape bushings under the real seat to turn to mush and twist.

Moisture trapped in the butt and guide wraps “haze”. Moisture trapped in the guide wraps causes the guide feet to rust.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I would not recommend washing a rod of any value in the shower. Sooner or later, moisture gets under the finish, reel seat and grips causing problems.

Moisture get under the seat and grips causes the cardboard and tape bushings under the real seat to turn to mush and twist.

Moisture trapped in the butt and guide wraps “haze”. Moisture trapped in the guide wraps causes the guide feet to rust.

Well if you do not rinse the rods after saltwater fishing it wrecks them too, have not had a problem with the rods in the 10 plus years of use.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I don't have any salt water near me, (great lakes area) and not concerned about keeping them for 30 years. They are just getting ugly and tend to be slippery when the stuck on scales get wet. From what I read here, I am looking for my scruffy pad, a pad that removes bugs but doesn't scratch your paint, along with some dawn or simple green, sounds like it will do the job !!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Well if you do not rinse the rods after saltwater fishing it wrecks them too, have not had a problem with the rods in the 10 plus years of use.
If it works for you, more power to you.
Just passing on 18 years of experience in the rod building and repair business ;)
From what I read here, I am looking for my scruffy pad, a pad that removes bugs but doesn't scratch your paint, along with some dawn or simple green, sounds like it will do the job !!
Dish soap in good. Simple green is not compatible with all rod finishes

airshot

Rear Admiral
If it works for you, more power to you.
Just passing on 18 years of experience in the rod building and repair business ;)

Dish soap in good. Simple green is not compatible with all rod finishes
Thanks, I will certainly test it first !!

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
To clean lures I use Dawn dish detergent. I put some Dawn and water in a bucket, soak them and then rub the gunk and stuff off. I use the same combination to clean rods and cork handles. If the cork handles don’t get clean enough then use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - it works. I have never had any of this do any harm to the rods or cork.

airshot

Rear Admiral
To clean lures I use Dawn dish detergent. I put some Dawn and water in a bucket, soak them and then rub the gunk and stuff off. I use the same combination to clean rods and cork handles. If the cork handles don’t get clean enough then use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - it works. I have never had any of this do any harm to the rods or cork.
Good to know...thanks !!

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Correction - do not use Dawn dish soap for cleaning lures . I got mixed up. It’s good for cleaning rods but not lures as it is scented. You do not want the scent residue left on lures. No problem with rods if some scent remains.
For lures I use an unscented dish soap which I can’t remember the name of. If I can find a bottle in my garage I’ll let you know what it is.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You do not want the scent residue left on lures.
Yet some swear by spraying their baits down with WD 40 for use as an attractant.

I used to keep a bucket of dish soap, fabric softener and water to clean baits during the day. The fabric softener makes it easier to comb out the hair on bucktails and parachutes before putting the bait back out in the spread

Went to a spray bottle with a mixture of water and fabric softener when I installed my washdown system.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Some years back there was a TV fishing show where the fisherman dunked his lures in gasoline then fished with them. Yep, he caught fish...some bite by smell /taste and some bite by reaction/ aggression. I don't use lures very often and the type I do use are more reaction type, but thanks for the warning. Rods covered in minnow scales are the biggest issue.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I use Procure scent on my lures. After weeks of warm summer the scent residue on the lures will get rancid so I throw my lures in a bucket of water and unscented dish detergent. Soak, rub, rinse and all is good to go.
I’ve heard of the wd40 on lures and I’ve heard for some it works. But for me I’m not putting and petroleum products on my lures

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I use Procure scent on my lures. After weeks of warm summer the scent residue on the lures will get rancid so I throw my lures in a bucket of water and unscented dish detergent. Soak, rub, rinse and all is good to go.
I’ve heard of the wd40 on lures and I’ve heard for some it works. But for me I’m not putting and petroleum products on my lures
I wouldn't think its doing the environment any favors, for sure.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've never washed a lure in my life, or a fresh water rod or reel for that matter. I occasionally rinse the salt water of those rods, but more often I just leave them in the boat and let the rain do it!

airshot

Rear Admiral
I wouldn't think its doing the environment any favors, for sure.
Your probably correct, but that should not bother anyone. The reason being that jet airliners dump millions of gallons of jet fuel ( kerosene) into the oceans, lakes and over land each time an emergency landing takes place. Can you calculate how many squirts of WD40 it would take to equal an average 40K lb fuel dump each time an airliner needs an emergency landing?? I think each fisherman could dump a gallon every trip and not equal one fuel dump from an airliner !!