Cleaning carpets after use in salt water

jheathco

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 30, 2009
Messages
9
What do you all recommend doing to clean carpets after use in the ocean? I haven't used it in the ocean much, but I plan to simply let the water dry overnight without a cover, followed by the occasional vacuum of the interior the following day to get the salt out. Also, I rub down the upholstery with fresh water and dry using a chamois. Should that be adequate? Obviously the standard fresh water engine flush and spraying down the hull is done each time...
 

Chris1956

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
29,233
Re: Cleaning carpets after use in salt water

Gee, I just hose down whatever is salty. You do have indoor/outdoor carpets, right? You are talking about an open cockpit?

Hose it and let her drain. A cabin would need to be cleaned in a different fashion, likely like a house carpet.

I do not think you can effectively vacuum up the salt. If you do get some of it, be aware that it will rust the crap out of the vacuum.
 
Top