Cleaner mower, speedboat engines ordered

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cleaner mower, speedboat engines ordered

Me too ^^^ :D

modernrocketry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey--quit ruining threads by tossing in expert opinions. If someone tells me his Grandma's Hupmobile straight eight got 85MPG and he could suck on the tailpipe all day long without even a cough, that's enough for me.

The visual on that one is priceless!!!

modernrocketry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not certain I agree that progress has been made -- and I'm a engineer:

Reasoning:
1. my 1991 Honda CRX HF -- bought new after college. 40+MPG to this day.
2. my Roughwater: single Perkins 6-T354.4 200HP diesel pushes my 30,000lbs girl to 10 knots while sipping 3.5 gallons per hour. The engine is a 1981.

Oh god, I sound like me father!!!!!

QC

Supreme Mariner

#1 is because of weight and aerodynamics, #2 is because of displacement speeds. Very little to do with the engine . . .

When I started in the diesel engine biz (1977) .4 lbs of diesel per bhp/hr was respectable, now it is .3 . . .

modernrocketry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

#1 is because of weight and aerodynamics, #2 is because of displacement speeds. Very little to do with the engine . . .

When I started in the diesel engine biz (1977) .4 lbs of diesel per bhp/hr was respectable, now it is .3 . . .

But will the new car last 17 years with no end in sight?
Will the pretty new diesels and all their fancy electronic controls last 27 years?

I am in the market for a new generator for my big boat and all the manufactures now use computers to control the engines so that they can meet emissions requirements. I doubt my new generator will last 27 years, like the old one has.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I actually think longevity in similar modern diesels is the same or better. By similar I mean similar weight and engine speeds. There are a lot of very good lightweight and highspeed diesels these days. They may not live as long, but they aren't designed to either . . . We do a lot of business today with 7 liters that was once done by 14 liters . . .

D

DJ

I actually think longevity in similar modern diesels is the same or better. By similar I mean similar weight and engine speeds. There are a lot of very good lightweight and highspeed diesels these days. They may not live as long, but they aren't designed to either . . . We do a lot of business today with 7 liters that was once done by 14 liters . . .

Completely agree.

These ain't your old mans "Kitty Cat's" anymore.

Wake up folks.

The EPA has found your beloved "coal burners".

Idle em all day (OLD SCHOOL) and PAY the consequences. Not only in EGR issues but longevity.

QC

Supreme Mariner

BTW, back to your Roughwater, modernrocketry . . . Edwin Monk was the king of single screw, semi-displacement, super efficient hulls . . .

modernrocketry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, back to your Roughwater, modernrocketry . . . Edwin Monk was the king of single screw, semi-displacement, super efficient hulls . . .

Indeed he was, and I'll put my girl up against any of the big boys in ugly blue water.

I've been out in some really rough stuff before and I'll definitely say "uncle" long before she does.