classic cars

boatman03

Seaman
Any one got a classic car or a pic of one please share.<br /><br />my sisters boyfriend has a 65' mustang and this thing sucks. justs today he turn the ignition of and pulled the key out and the car was still running it was so funny. evry time i see him what is he doing...working on this dam car.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: classic cars

I think the '65 Mustang is a classic, boatman, but these days people call any 4 wheeled piece of junk over 20 years old a classic.<br /><br />A true classic is a vehicle that made a real difference in the auto industry; because of design, quality of build, or unique features. That leaves out at least half of the cars popularly called classics.

SoulWinner

Commander

I helped out at a car resto shop times, welding and such. Saw a lot of people spending a LOT of money on these old cars, (like $80,000 on a 1971 Buick Stage One) and never coul understand why anyone would put that kind of money into a car that only goes fast in a straight line, when for less money they could have an Acura NSX. Beats me dude, I guess I'm missing something 'cause I see no glamour in old muscle cars. I like cars from the thirties and fifties but they are too primative for me. I have owned:<br />1928 DeSoto<br />1939 Chevy Delux 2 door<br />1956 Chevy Pick-up<br />1960 Chevy Biscane 2 door<br />1969 Buick Wildcat 2 door<br /><br />Done with the old cars now, will never go there again.

Laddies

Banned

My son has a 67 Barracuda coupe, we have redone a 71 340 balanced, factory X heads,and all the right stuff at the late minute we desided to go back to a duel plane manifold and are waiting on that---Bob

Gary Graycar

Cadet

I like the 55-70 era cars. Outside maybe the 87 Buick GNX, there are absolutely no 80 era cars that I would consider a classic. For the 90's there are the Stangs, Cameros and Firebirds that may eventually make the list. And for this decade, I see only one potential classic. The Viper.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Boatman, Thats cause them mustangs just don't know when to quit running.<br /><br />I've got a 66 pony, all originale. 289, 3 speed, just about new everything and no a/c. Nothing better to cruise on down the road in. The wife dosen't like it, she likes cruising in her Taures.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

cajun,<br /> Does that pony have a hitch? If so, I bet it looks good towing that Vagabond, 10 years it's senior.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

There's a really sweet 1970 Corvette sitting in my driveway. Not mine unfortunately but I get to babysit while Dad works on the boat in his driveway. No need to risk getting any bottom paint or stripper on her. <br /><br />I'll post a pic later, it's something to see. Not perfect, but it's a driver that can win a trophy when it wants to. :D

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Laddies... a dual plane manifold is much better if you're driving it on the street... just like a milder cam and vacuum secondary carb is better than a double pumper on the street. Much more drivable. I was running a '65 Satellite with a built 440 and big cam and 750 double pumper and afer a couple of months I went the other way and enjoyed the car a lot more.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

NYMINUTE.. back in '68 I bought a '56 Tbird for $1400 bucks.. in good shape too. I drove it for about 6 months and got an offer from a guy to buy it for $2000. Like I have with SO many other cool cars.... I sold it. Man, I'd love to have all the cars that I've gotten rid of that would be worth fortunes today. Guess it's the classic "hind sight is 20/20" thing.

eeboater

Commander

My Baby:<br /><br />1979 Jeep CJ7 LEVI Edition<br />304 V8<br />72,000 miles<br />Purrs like a kitten :D <br /><br /><br />
1402926-IMG_2932.jpg

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

Ive got a 1948 ford f-1 pick up. I bought it the day I graduated highschool. Drove is to my grandparents House where it still sits in their spare garage and I have touched it in 6 years Because of money situations and putting my wife through school.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a link to my FIL's 67 Chevy rebuild project. project pictures<br /><br />Here is a picture of the truck when he first bought it:<br />
Chevy11.jpg

ehenry

Commander

Hey James.....Cool pic of FIL's dawg lickin his butt under the truck!! :D :D :eek:

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am currently restoring a '69 Merc Cougar XR7. The engine work is nearly finished, still need to put in the electronic ignition sys, pretty easy, and I am buffing out the new paint. I have put all new metal on her, no bondo. The interior is great except I need to install a new headliner (easy). I like the old Cougars more than the old Mustangs. I have sold a '67 and a '72 Cougar in the last few years.<br />I also have a "61 Chev pickup, I am putting in a 400 small block (those 400's really scream) with an automatic tranny this week. The rest of the truck is in good condition except I need to replace the old wood in the bed. I traded a '66 Chevelle last year for a bunch of mechanic work for this truck along with some $. The Chevelle needed too much interior work for me.<br />I'd post some pics but I haven't mastered the photo thing yet (kinda gave up on it)<br />Am looking for a '61 or '62 corvette.<br /><br />Spud

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

One classic from the 80's comes to mind.<br />The POPE-Mobile :) <br /><br />You guys see the recent Barrett auction where the 1954 Olds-Earl prototype went for $3,000,000 ? It is one of only a few that have gotten away from the GM museum.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I had a '59 Vette and a '62 Vette and a '68 Cougar XR7 and a '69 428CJ Mach One Mustang and a '70 Dodge Coronet R/T Convertible with 440 6 Pac and 4 speed and a '65 Catalina 2+2 with 421 tri power and the list of my stupidness goes on and on and on. What a dummy :(