clamming

angler00

Seaman
looking for idea's on what to use when clamming with a rake to put clam's in??
i know about the basket deal.. see some guy's use a canvas tool apron..
but you cant get alot of clams in it, have to keep going back to the boat and empty it..
just looking for more idea's.. what else are people using??

angus63

Captain
Re: clamming

I wedge a 5 gallon bucket in a small innertube and tie it to my waist with a length of line about the same length as my rake. Simple and easy to dump the clams in the bucket.

sasto

Captain

I used to rake for a livin' in SC years ago. If I filled up a couple 5 gallon buckets...It was paying the bills. If I recall correctly, we were paid $.09 per. Do you guys do it for the money....or food?

angler00

Seaman

I used to rake for a livin' in SC years ago. If I filled up a couple 5 gallon buckets...It was paying the bills. If I recall correctly, we were paid $.09 per. Do you guys do it for the money....or food?

I do it for the with family and the food

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in the pacific northwest i use a old golf-cart with a 5-gal. bucket strapped to the cart, when we rake/dig we dump all the clams in the bucket and head back to the parking lot. This works well with all types of clams that we harvest up here(steamers, horse, butter, and the infamous "geoduck". On some of these public beaches the clam-digging areas can be 1/2 mile from the parking areas.

What kind of clams do you folks harvest?

angler00

Seaman

all steamers, little neck.. here in delaware we use hand rakes, guys on the boats from what I see use a canvas tool belt then when its full go back to the boat and empty it out.. delaware has alot of regs you need to go by...

PSG-1

Seaman

I've seen people use a life ring with a half-bushel or a bushel basket. That method works pretty good.

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

I rarely go in the water when I dig, low tide does just fine in RI. but on those occasions when I do I would use one of those ugly styrofoam noodles the kids use in a swimming pool. I split it in half the long way and wrapped it arount the top of my basket and just used small cut peices of old clothesline to tie it on. that works fine for recreational digging, When I used to be comm. I would use the innertube thing and make a train. Ronnie

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use a milk crate or a mesh bag like you buy potatoes, onions or fruit in.