cingular phones

dansoph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
has anyone had any experience buying an inexpencive cell phone? i've checked ebay, but i'm not sure about buying a used phone.my daughters phone has been dropped tomany times.we've had it replaced already with the insurance. they won't replace again.i'm not able to afford a brand new one. any ideas? thanks for any help.

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: cingular phones

My sister bought two cell phones off ebay. She took them to the cell store and they did something in them and she had no problems with either of them.<br />I personally haven't done it, but it worked out fine for her.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I dropped my phone in the lake last spring, and I didnt have insurance on it. I talked to the Manager at the Cingular place near me and he made me a great deal. They get to try ou all sorts of phonesm and he keeps them afterwards to sell as used phones when people have a problem like mine or like you. He sold me a nice flip phone, threw in a nice leather case, and didnt have to resign any contracts. He just took the SIM card from my old phone and I didnt have to re enter any numbers. It cost me $50, and he gave me a 30 day warrantee on it. The phone was only used for like a week. <br /><br />I asked him about ebay phones, and he said to be careful as some arent unlocked phones as they say they are, and some people dont know that each provider uses its own signal type and some phones arent programmed for it.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

If you go the eBay route, try to find one of the same model that you are replacing. Cingular uses GSM networks, so be sure you get a GSM phone, and that it is unlocked, as Pony says, if it is not a Cingular model. Do not buy a CDMA phone, locked, unlocked or otherwise.<br /><br /><br />-dd-