chunk of mystery wire

ab59

Ensign
Thread starter
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
991
Hello, I am restoring a 1988 Aluminum Starcraft ss20v . I have pulled the 5.7 ? engine and am waiting on my rebuild to get here along with replacing the deck , carpet and upholstery . When I was unbolting the engine and getting the jewlery off for removal I came accross this 3 wire piece of harness that I can't see where it came from. It is about 7 to 8 feet long ( see pictures ) and looks like factory harness material. I have looked at the harness and do not see where it could have been cut from. On a different note , I noticed that when I turned the key on to trim down the sterndrive that my rpm gage went from -0- to pegged out although nothing was running . Don't know if these two are related but thought it worth mentioning. Well what you guys think ?? here are some pics---- DSC01869.JPG DSC01870.JPG DSC01872.JPG DSC01871.JPG
 

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
14,605
I know you stated that it looks like factory wiring, but to me it looks exactly like standard extension cord with the colored shown. If neither end was connected to anything, I would discard it and move on. But that is just my uneducated idea not knowing about your setup as well. JMHO
 

ab59

Ensign
Thread starter
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
991
Hi , the reason that I believe it to be original harness is because of the grommet where it was run through a hole in the Aluminum ( see pic just below my thumb ) somewhere in the boat. It is not ridged wire and appears to be automotive quality.
I dunno , guess I will get an answer when I get the new engine back in and the battery hooked up.
 

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
14,605
Hi , the reason that I believe it to be original harness is because of the grommet where it was run through a hole in the Aluminum ( see pic just below my thumb ) somewhere in the boat. It is not ridged wire and appears to be automotive quality.
I dunno , guess I will get an answer when I get the new engine back in and the battery hooked up.

I see what you are talking about. Did you see anywhere that plug retainer could possible fit into? I still say it looks like a typical 115VAC power cord with the three wires inside the insulation. But other then that, I can't think of anything that would use a cord like that. :noidea:
 

ab59

Ensign
Thread starter
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
991
gm280--After I got the engine out I sat down one day and looked at the harness at the transom area and do see any part of the harness that looks like something has been cut from it. I do notice some newer electrical tape wrapped around a part of the harness for some reason. Would a stereo use such wire I wonder , I don't see one in the boat but the speakers are there along with a marine radio. the marine radio still has its wiring. Under the dash looks clean as well with no hacked up wire stubs so now I am also wondering if this chunk of wire went to a sending unit or something along that line. I keep looking for where this was cut from but just don't see any obvious answers so guess when I get everything back together and turn the key on I will have to watch for burning wiring to find out where it went . Hope I'm kidding lol.
 
Top