CHRYSLER INBOARD T-STAT?????

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1968 Marinette w/ a single 318, velvet drive. The thermostat quit working recently and I pulled out the old one to replace it. It is about 2.5" diameter and about 2 3/4" tall. There is no internal diaphram in the throat of the t-stat. When heated to 140 deg. F. it opens right below a brass collar built into it. There are 2 raw water lines going to the top of the t-stat housing that go to the exhaust manifolds. My question is how does this thermostat work? and does anybody know where I can buy a replacement. I have pics of this and the cooling setup of the motor if you give me your e-mail.<br /><br />Thanks :confused:

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: CHRYSLER INBOARD T-STAT?????

The chrysler crew website has your t-stat although the 50.00 dollar price seems high.

Laddies

Banned

Look here on iboats or any where sierra parts are sold they have a listing

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NOVICETECH, I have seen the one for sale on Chrysler Crews website yeah $50.00 is a little high, mine still opens @ the right temp but I would like to know what is down inside the thermostat that stops water flow since the t-stat opens up in the middle.<br /><br />LADDIES, I generally look for stuff on iboats first because they ship so fast, unfortunately none of those t-stats are even close.<br /><br />Thanks,

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK went to the lake today the top two lines coming out of the thermostat housing are coolant lines for the oil cooler for the trans. and the other goes to the bottom of the exhaust manifolds. Still do not know how the thermostat is supposed to function.??

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes I have a temp guage it functions properly and also installed a new temp. sending unit.

f_inscreenname

Commander

For the water, through the motor is the least path of resistance. The thermostat stops the water from flowing through the motor (when it is closed) forcing the water to go out through the top half of the thermostat housing (by passing the motor) and out to the manifolds and cooler. When the stat is open the water follows the least path of resistance (through the motor) and then on to the other things.

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know how a traditional thermostat operates this is totally different. There is no diaphram only seperation in the middle of the body. I can e-mail pics if interested.<br /><br />Thanks

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry it took so long I was @ the lake