Chrysler cdi testing

Nickmell

Seaman Apprentice
Im having a spark problem with my 79 115 Chrysler and am wondering if there is a way to test the cdi? I have 2 but am not sure if either is working and am loosing my mind trying to figure this thing out. .This is what the two I have look like, I believe it is a prestolite ignition

Nordin

Commander
Re: Chrysler cdi testing

Nickmell that is the Motorola MagnaPower I cd box. You can not check/measure the cd box BUT you can troubleshot the hole ign.system.
This system need a powersource (12V battery) it is not self feeding.

You have to have the box connected to the engine to troubleshot it. The box has 5 wires, red - power (+12V from battery), blue - 12V from battery through ign.key ,white - tacosignal, grey - ign.coil + and yellow/black - trigger from points/preamp in distributor.

The red wire should be hot all time, blue should be hot when ign.key is in ON position, grey should be connected to ign.coil + terminal and yellow/black to distributor terminal.

If you have the electronic distributor it has a second terminal. This terminal should have a blue wire from engine terminal blue ign.terminal.

With key ON and yellow/black wire disconnected from dist. #1 plug out and grounded then tip/scratch the yellowblack to ground. If the box is okey the #1 plug should fire each time the yellow/black detouch ground. If it act that way the box is good.

If you have the electronic dist. the preamp can be bad resulting in no fire or irracular fire.
The preamp can not be measured you must check with a known good one.