Chrysler 75 HP Overheating Problem

jrbpit1

Cadet
Again I trouble you guys for advice. I replaced my head gasket about 1 month ago, been out a few times no problems. I went out Sunday, got the overheat buzzer again. Going to do another compression check tonight and see what that says. When I put the head back on last time, I was connecting the wire to the temp sensor and slightly cracked the plastic case of the sensor. So if the the head gasket is blown again, what is the root cause? The motor starts and runs great. Is the motor screwed?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Chrysler 75 HP Overheating Problem

Check to see that water is circulating thru the engine.<br />I would first replace the thermostat(15buks), if the compression is ok. Then,if it still alarms, take your finger,and briefly touch the side of the block by the head. If it is too hot to touch for 3 seconds with the new thermostat, and no water is circulating thru the engine, it is probably impeller time. HOWEVER, if it is just warm, the temp sender may be wacky.

jrbpit1

Cadet

I have replaced the thermostat, and tested it to make sure it works properly. I have also replaced the impeller in the lower unit. This little problem is driving me NUTS!!!

jrbpit1

Cadet

In the mean time, I have decided to pull the head off tonight, bring it to a machine shop to make sure it is not warped. What do you guys think about replacing all the head bolts?

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Jason,<br />Is the motor actually overheating or is the temperature sensor/sending unit faulty? I'd check it out before pulling the head.<br />Backlash

jrbpit1

Cadet

Thanks for your advice. I purchased a new temp sensor last night. I also pulled the head last night as well to have it machined. The bottom three head bolt's washers were not on the bolts when I removed the bolts. I know that I replaced the washers when I put the bolts back in about a month ago. I looked down in the case under the power head and I found them, they were broken up into pieces. After they broke up I guess the head rattled loose a bit causing the overheat problem. I have bought all new bolts and washers and hopefully this will cure my problems. The Seloc manual says the torque spec on the head bolts is 225 inch pounds. Can anybody verify this??

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Well Jason, that's one of the darndest mysteries I've ever heard of. I can't quite fathom how the washers could break up & come off the bolts like that. Anyway, the torque sounds about right about right to me. By the way, is that the same torque you used when you replaced the head gasket last month?<br />Good luck :) <br />Backlash

manowar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a little hint those head bolts go on in sequence finger tighten all and snug them all up tighten an torque two inner bolts then two outer then two inners then two outer etc. after ten hours running check torque again good luck