Chrysler 7.5 no spark

Xcakes0X

Seaman Apprentice
So I bite the bullet on that Chrysler 7.5 I was looking at. Found it has no spark, I’m not familiar with Chrysler outboards so any idea what could be the problem? It has no spark on either cylinder so I doubt the coils would be the issue.

Xcakes0X

Seaman Apprentice
clip and lanyard in place, if so equipped?
It doesn’t have one, I disconnected the stop button but that did nothing. I wonder if the ignition coils could have gone bad from it sitting for a couple of years. The coils appear to be factory as well. This is a CDI ignition which I’m not used to working with.

Nordin

Commander
The ignition system contains a CDI box, a stator, a trigger ring and two ignition coils.
First check all groundings for the ignition system.
Outboardignitiondotcom may have troubleshoot chart for your engine.
As you do not have spark at all, I would suspect the stator or the CDI box.
The stator charge the capacitors in the CDI box and the triggers gives signal to the CDI box to fire and usually both trigger coils do not go bad.
Stator would put out about 180-250 VDC (DVA) and triggers coils would put out 0,5-3 VDC (DVA).

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Really helps if you tell the year or the model# and serial# pics are a big help too???

You say CDI but also say "BOTH" coils?? one doesn't usually go along with the other????
The later years the CDI has the coil built in.
outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures for the early Chryslers

Xcakes0X

Seaman Apprentice
Really helps if you tell the year or the model# and serial# pics are a big help too???

You say CDI but also say "BOTH" coils?? one doesn't usually go along with the other????
Mine is
The ignition system contains a CDI box, a stator, a trigger ring and two ignition coils.
First check all groundings for the ignition system.
Outboardignitiondotcom may have troubleshoot chart for your engine.
As you do not have spark at all, I would suspect the stator or the CDI box.
The stator charge the capacitors in the CDI box and the triggers gives signal to the CDI box to fire and usually both trigger coils do not go bad.
Stator would put out about 180-250 VDC (DVA) and triggers coils would put out 0,5-3 VDC (DVA).
my engine is a ‘83 I will check the Strator but I’m not sure it has a cdi box looking at a diagram

Xcakes0X

Seaman Apprentice

Mine is an ‘83 7.5. Looking at a diagram for it

Xcakes0X

Seaman Apprentice

So I got the coils off the outboard as that’s the easiest thing to tackle first, I see there is rust on the back of them and tiny holes in the back (pics below). Then I hooked up a multimeter and tested the coil with a multimeter and got a reading of 0.0-0.1 ohms on one coil and 0.1-0.2 ohms on the other. Is it safe to say at this point that the coils are bad?1628874070945.jpeg