Chrysler 55 idels well stalls wehn getting in gear

shipyard

Cadet
I have a 79 55hsp chrysler. I just rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump. The fuel lines are new and the plugs are less than a year. I just double checked to make sure they were @ .030. The gas and oil are new and mixed just under 50-1 since this is the first time its really run in over two years. After the rebuils I placed it in the bucket and got it started and ideling very well. I took it out to the lake today and it started very easily and ideled once again in netural at about 1000 to 1100. A bit hi i know but I was planning on adjustind it out in the water so other people could get in. While attempting to put it into gear it died. It would start and Idel just fine in warm up mode but the instant I would try to put in either in forward or reverse it would die. I did get it to go once but that was after I reved it up and threw it into gear. Didn't try it again knowing that it itsn't the best way to do it. The motor does idel just wont get into gear and go. What do I check now? :confused:

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chrysler 55 idels well stalls wehn getting in gear

This is a tough one. Did you check your neutral interlock switch. How about the LU linkage? Is it adjusted correctly? Only other thing I can think of is if the idle is too high. Hope one of the experts here has a more informative answer.

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

The problem could be the idle air/fuel mixture setting. Is the screw(s) turned out to correct specifications? Also, do you have a strong spark(s)?

shipyard

Cadet

On this model there is no rich/lean mixing screw on the carb. I forgot to mention that. Just the usual ball/linkage from the cable the throttle shaft

shipyard

Cadet

I'm sure the spark is good I can get it to start and idel well in warm up position. However I can check again.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Are you sure about the idle mixture adjustment screw. It should be located on the top front of the carb. I am suprised it dont have one. It should be a slotted type screw indented into the carb. <br />Your bulb is firm when you prime the motor? I had this very same problem when I first came to iboats. I did everything you mentioned in your post except I replaced the fuel seats and gaskets in the fuel pump because mine the gaskets were broken. The only thing else is to double check your carb. Check to make sure when you prime the bulb hard you are not leaking gas at the carb. YOu may have to take the carb back out and re clean.

shipyard

Cadet

I am almost 100% certian that there is no idle mix screw. I kept looking for it becasuse the rebuild kit hade parts for it and the illustration showed where it should be. I've been sick for a few days so tomorrow I'll have a chance to check again.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

mkskippy where in minnesota you from. I am from blaine.

shipyard

Cadet

I'm in Kimball just south of St. Cloud. I have been out for a few days. I double checked and there is no idle mix screw. I have pictures but I don't know where to post them. I have recleaned the carbs, put in new plugs gapped @ .030. THe only thing I can think of is the type of gas I used. I think we ued a higher grade that what I believe you said to use, 87? Is it really inportant?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Most 2 cycle outboards will run fine when they are down one cylinder and in neutral. One simple test is to feel the head in a relatively simular place on the head by #1 and #2 . The heat level should be equal on both. if not, you have a lazy or dead cylinder. How is the compression? If the compression is lower on one than the other, the low lung will run leaner (and that aint good iether), but it'll stall when placed under a load.<br />Finally, is the load being placed-upon it normal, or is there a lower unit issue that you don't know about? Drain/inspect the l/u lube for signs of metal or water contmination.<br />The prop shaft may also have what appears to be a nylon washer behind the prop nut. If so, remove it. It aint a washer. It's monofiliment fishin line, a common problem that can place a massive bind on the prop under load, causing the symptom you describe. happy hunting.<br />I hope it's a cheap fix, Skippy.

shipyard

Cadet

Thanks to all for your suggestions so far. I did check the lower unit today and it was contaminated with water. The screw in between the fill screw and check screw came loose allowing water in. I'm draining, flushing and refilling double checking all screws are tight. However, i'm still having trouble with the idle. I'm courious about how important the octane of the gas is. I believe we have non oxygenated 93 but I'm reading that the 82 octane is better. True? could this be one of my many problems?<br /><br />Still looking :confused:

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

There used to be a person here called the Marine Doctor who left and started his own site. He has like 25 years as an outboard mechanic and he said that he has seen high octane gas make a motor do strange things. He recommends lower octane gas on force and chrysler outboards. I know with my chrysler even mixing the gas and oil has to be just right or I have problems. I am in Minnesota and have the same blended fuel you have and have had no problems with 87 octane. I have not been able to find 87 octane that is non oxygenated.

discover

Cadet

87 octane is the lowest brand sold here...The mech. working on my 90hp Force just told me to put the highest 92 octane to help keep the engine clean does he know what he doing? :confused: <br />Can not find seafoam here to clean carbs what else can I use!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Iboats sells seafoam deep creep seafoam. You might want to get a couple of cans of it.

shipyard

Cadet

since I don't have any idle mix screws what else can I do to get the motor to idle?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

mkskippy. Here is a link to your carb. 55 hp carb <br /><br />Item number 37 is the idle mixture adjustment screw. It is located on the top of the carb above the choke. It is slotted and the head of the screw is recessed slightly into the carb. Remove this screw and look at the tip. It should be slightly rounded almost with a sharp tip. There should be no grooves, nicks or bends. If there is slight grooves in it use emery cloth to smooth it out. Install the screw with the spring and turn clockwise till it lightly seats. Then back it off 1 1/4 turn. This is the starting point. Warm engine up and put it into forward gear and let run at slowest speed that motor will not die. Turn in 1/8 turn increments every 10 seconds clockwise till motor starts to race. Now go back the other way until it starts to bog down. Half way between these two points is the correct place for this adjustment. <br /><br />Before you remove this screw. Turn it clockwise counting the turns. How many turns out is it?

ricksonntag

Cadet

"The mech. working on my 90hp Force just told me to put the highest 92 octane to help keep the engine clean does he know what he doing?"<br /><br />Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I had read in various places, including my Seloc service manual, that the anti-knock additives used in higher-octane unleaded gasoline burn LESS cleanly, so you should use the LOWEST octane you can use without getting knocking. Using unnecessarily high octane will cause carbon deposits.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

rhythmdoctor. I agree with you. Most of the posts I have read say to use 87 octane for that very reason. I have tried using higher octane gas on my chrysler and I cant get it to idle and it does wierd things at WOT. I went back to 87 and the problems disappeared.