chrysler 35 hp outboard elec problems

Bavo

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
5
Hi I am new to outboards and just aquired a chrysler 35 hp outboard model number 357 hd 4508. I need help with the wiring as seems in a mess. Will turn over ok when power applied direct to the starter but no spark on ethier plugs. Does anyone have the wiring diagram please.
According to a german site it was made between 1971 to1978. Does the elec throotle switch have to be up or down before it turns on ?
Many thanks
Steven
 

Attachments

  • Photo-0004_000.jpg
    49 bytes · Views: 1
  • Photo-0002_000.jpg
    49 bytes · Views: 1

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: chrysler 35 hp outboard elec problems

Are the coils up in the flywheel or in the back by the spark plugs? Your photo titles show but I cant view them. Your motor is from 1973. Email me your photos and I will post them for you here. My email is ralgoetz@comcast.net
 

Bavo

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
5
Re: chrysler 35 hp outboard elec problems

Cheers pics on way, can take some more from other side if required

Are they rare engines and collectable i paid £150 for the boat, trailer and engine. about $300

Thanks Steve
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: chrysler 35 hp outboard elec problems

Getting rare but not worth much. Mine is almost 40 years old and it dont want to die. Here is your pics at least I hope so.
entire.jpg

coils.jpg
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: chrysler 35 hp outboard elec problems

can you send me a picture of the switch you mentioned. It also looks like the choke is missing. Please take a pick of the front of the motor where the carburator is. The yellow wire that is sitting unconnected is probalby for the starter solinoid. Also I am hosting this pic on my FTP site please let me know if you can see it. I got a prompt about permission and I fear it might only load for me.
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: chrysler 35 hp outboard elec problems

I can see the photos, euro.

I would be a bit concerned about the other loose wires lying on the bottom.

You may need to invest in a repair manual.
Amazon.co.uk sells them, and will ship across Europe.
Chrysler outboard repair manual by Clymer.

It will be a very valuable purchase.
 

Bavo

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
5
Re: chrysler 35 hp outboard elec problems

Hi
More pics on way to you thanks, the switch is near the white arm of the throotle lever, works of a cam
All I really need is the wiring diagram so if u can scan it and e mail it to shastie@ntlworld.com I would be most grateful
There are two switches in the boat which are fixed to the long white wires you can see on pic, is one for the igition and one for the battery power on and off ?
Yes i agree the yellow wire goes on top of the soliiniod but there are two others hanging down which I have no idea where they go,
Many thanks Steve
 

Bavo

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
5
Re: chrysler 35 hp outboard elec problems

Ps no pics showing at mo , but were ok before
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: chrysler 35 hp outboard elec problems

Hi steve. I have attempted to send two emails to you and they come back as undeliverable. I will try later using my MSN account. One thing I noticed on the second set of pictures is you do not have an electric choke. I attached a pic of mine. Motor can still be started without one but it is a pain.

101856.jpg
 

Bavo

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
5
Re: chrysler 35 hp outboard elec problems

Hi Euro
Many thanks for all your help, if you could resend the mail to pioneersurfer@hotmail.com that should work.
Could you send me a pic of the wiring board of yours as bound to be similar to mine
Thanks Steve
PS will worry about choke later as need a spark for now.
 
Top