Chrysler 1 Piece Head Versus 2 Piece Head - Need Gasket Help!!

Gordon02

Seaman Apprentice
Guys, I need some help with understanding the 1-piece head gasket.

I'm restoring 2 old Chrysler outboards and I'm having problems with the head gasket on the 1968 1-Piece - I can't find one. I have purchased the original factory service manual along with the original parts listing for each model.
The head gasket shown in the 1968 parts listing looks different than either one of these. I have not been able to find an image of the 1968 parts listing on line and the parts listing photo is very small.The 1968 head gasket # is 85529.

The 1972 head gaskets are available everywhere the part # is 369529.

The 1968 1-piece head has large water passages next to the cylinder walls and as the parts listing shows, has what looks to be bigger gasket openings. The 1-piece head also uses 3/8" head bolts and has the thermostat up on top of #1 cylinder.

The 1972 2-piece head does not have water passages next to the cylinder walls - instead the top of the cylinder head is cooled by using a water-jacket cover, therein the 2-pieces. The thermostat fits into the head and is sandwiched between the water passage cover and cylinder head.

Help Appreciated! Gordon

Attachments

• photo302019.jpg
    photo302019.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo302020.jpg
    photo302020.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo302021.jpg
    photo302021.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 0

Nordin

Commander
Gordon I have had the same issue when restoring an old 1967 powerhead that use the old head with what you call a 1-piece.
The newer head has a cover plate for the waterjackets which are lager then the old one which has a cast tube in the center for cooling the plugs.

I emailed with Franz at Franz Marine who is the supplier I use because I live in Sweden Europé and want to get the right parts.
He says that you can use the newer style head gasket to the old head, just drill the holes a bit so you can use the 5/8 bolts.

Last edited:

Gordon02

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Nordin! I was wondering about the circular holes in the new gaskets around each cylinder sealing ring when the newer heads did not have water passages to use them - this explains why they did that. I'll get me a newer gasket.