Choking out of the hole.

Colfman

Recruit
Hey guys,

looking for some help. My 4.3 tks is having issues when I try to pull out of the hole with tubers or skiers. Not every time, but I will accelerate aggressively to get on plane and it will be unresponsive or just choke itself out not completely, I'll pull back drop it in neutral try again, sometimes she goes sometimes not. I do think even when it goes it is lacking some power. Thoughts?

harringtondav

Commander
I recently learned that TKS is a Merc. Turn Key Starting carb'd system. And that's all I know. If it relies on a mostly traditional carb. body, hole shot stumbling is often a bad or dirty accelerator pump circuit. Power loss can also be related to a dirty carb, or fuel system. I suggest changing the fuel filter/water separator, and cleaning/ rebuilding the TKS (carb?). More knowledgeable members can expand o this.

Colfman

Recruit
So last week I changed the fuel filter, new distribution cap, along with a faulty coil which my marine mechanic was super surprise by.... can I do the accelerator pump? I would consider myself marginally handy... haha.

danhenke

Seaman
Anyone can rebuild a carburetor, it’s jist simple assembly. Tubing can be a little different. Most rebuild kits will have you set the carb to factory default, which can be pretty optimal running condition in most cases.

although I’ll admit, I’ve never had the pleasure of rebuilding the mercarb, I’m sure I could do it and set it. Lord knows I’ve brought plenty of junk Harley’s back to life.

harringtondav

Commander
can I do the accelerator pump? I would consider myself marginally handy... haha.

The accelerator pump is internal to the carb. A rebuild kit will have new parts for it. The kits have cook book instructions. Remember to remove the flame arrester stud. Keep track of your parts and only use the same from the kit. You'll find extras for other carb models. Ignore them.