CHOKE! My choke has QUIT.

Ichthyus

Cadet
Brothers:

A few weeks back my ignition switch began to refuse to start my Evinrude 175 in the choke (pushed in) position. Instead, I get an alarm. No starter, just a momentary alarm.

It will start in the regular position (not pushed in) but takes a loooooong time to warm up before it will go into gear without sputtering out.

I get 12v at the primer solenoid when the ignition switch is pushed in (vertical or running position).

When the engine is warm, pushing in the ignition switch appears to activate the primer solenoid - the engine slows rpm's and runs rich.

What am I missing here????

Thanks - Mac in Annapolis

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say that your choke is work just from what you stated. So that isn't you problem. Check the cooling system as stated above...

Ichthyus

Cadet
None, that ain't it. Plus it does not explain why the engine will not turn over with the choke depressed.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
None, that ain't it. Plus it does not explain why the engine will not turn over with the choke depressed.

Are you saying that if you depress the key switch for the choke to operate, the starter doesn't turn the engine over or spin to try and start? :decision:

Ichthyus

Cadet
That is correct. The engine will start when the choke is not engaged (ignition switch not pressed in). When the choke is engaged, I get a short alarm and nothing. This is new - all was normal a few weeks ago. What am i missing?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Your switch is bad most likely. Seems like we just went through this in another thread.