Choke issue's Honda BF90

Capt.Spaulding

Recruit
I am having issues with the choke when I first start the motor after it's been sitting. The motor will just crank and crank and crank until the battery is wore down and I have to charge it. It takes forever to start, it seemed like the choke isn't working. Which I think i confirmed this weekend. I do prime the bulb before I try. This past weekend I actually heard a click from the motor when I tried using the choke, however it only did it a half a dozen times before it stopped. It also tried to start much easier those few times I heard the click. I am new to these motors and am not sure where to begin. Any advice or help is very welcomed. Thank you in advance.

ahicks

Captain
The only way to start that motor is generally going to require the use of the choke. If the electric choke built into the control isn't working, go back to the front of the motor and identify the manual choke, and use that.

There's a switch built into the control that can be erratic. You heard the click of the choke slamming shut. It should do that every time the lever is pushed into the choke position. Clearly, if it doesn't do that, it's time for a repair.

Capt.Spaulding

Recruit
Thank you that answers my question about how it functions. The choke is part of the key to start the motor. Were you saying the issue is typically with the switch in the key? Or perhaps where should i start to diagnose it?

ahicks

Captain
Think of the solenoid that operates the choke as a light bulb. When you push in on the switch, power (12 volts) goes to the solenoid, causing it to close. USUALLY, I've found the switch itself to be the issue. You would have to use a test light or voltmeter to confirm.