Choke at carb not opening when cold?

Jsiples

Seaman
Merc I4 140 Mercarb..... I have read in other threads that the choke plate should close when engine is cold and the throttle is pushed forward. I never had this problem until I made carb adjustments after a tune-up. The plate is staying open but also moves freely ( not binding anywhere ), could the idle screw be backed out too far? Not sure if I need replacement parts or an adjustment, cleaning, etc??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Choke at carb not opening when cold?

The choke has nothing to do with the mixture screws. Did you loosen 3 screws and turn something that was about an inch and a half in diameter?
Did some linkage come off the choke?
Is the choke electric, and what year?

Jsiples

Seaman

I unfortunately don't know the answer on the electric choke. I do know that as of a month ago it would flip closed with the turn of the key and throttle I am guessing it would be electric. The only two screws I have adjusted is the mixture which would be below the bowl and the screw on top with the spring in front of it which I was told was the idle screw. The linkage looks just as it did. I did notice that if I push the plate on the carb up and down there is a large amount of play to it and the "idle screw" loses its contact with the choke that kind of looks like a butterfly wing which in turn connects to the rest of the linkage? I really do not know my terminology.... my apologies.

Jsiples

Seaman

Anybody understand what I am trying to describe or have any advice on how to fix this whether it is electric or not? ANY advice ( vague or not ) for me and I would be grateful. I do not want to have to take it in for something that sounds like a small problem. Problem is I have to take off flame arrestor and close plate to start almost every time or it just takes forever and is hard on the starter and battery and probably other items too.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

i suggest you take some very detailed pictures of your carb.. the choke plate.. any linkages attached to the choke plate.. anything those linkages are attached to.. etc etc.. and add them to a post.. you might even find the solution to your problem..

me i do not have an electric choke.. my choke is controlled by a coiled spring attached to the intake manifold that opens the choke when it gets hot and when it cools off closes it again.. kinda like this

http://greenwoodchevy.com/parts/cs41b.html

if it was my carb i would check the spring to make sure the linkages are all still attached and the spring isnt jammed or something..

Jsiples

Seaman

I will try to post a picture and find out other info on the elec choke and what not in the meantime.

Jsiples

Seaman

Alright hullofalottatrouble I saw that picture and not even being by the boat right now it just clicked!! I know exactly what to look for now. Much appreciated. I remember the resistance I used to get on the plate and where the choke part is now ;)

ziggy

Admiral

Problem is I have to take off flame arrestor and close plate to start almost every time or it just takes forever and is hard on the starter and battery and probably other items too
i don't know yer carb at all. but it seems to me that ya may have more problems than choke problems. the choke, elec. or bimetal only pulls the choke plate closed when cold. after its warm, the choke plate should be full open........

ya also need to get at least some kinda service manual. oem is best that way ya can be hip as to what to call things when yer describing issues here. or maybe, ya could even read it and figure out the problem w/o help. a service manual is a very good sorce of info......my manual has a picture of what i'm supposed to set my choke at......pics are great for me.......