Chip in fiberglass bow

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here goes...

Yesterday while boating I experienced heavy winds and while trying to dock at the local marina for gas I managed to be blown literally into the concrete wall which was not very well protected. Unfortunately for me I now have a small chip in my bow which is fiberglass (directly at the front where it forms the V, not sure the terminology or name). It's not that bad and could have been worse. However, because my hull is black I now have this white chip.

My question is can I repair this myself? I wish I had a pic to show because that would be easier for everyone. The size is about the tip of a woman's pinkie finger. I basically need something that is black and will fill this. I am worried that if it is not repaired that some other problem could start from it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Chip in fiberglass bow

Yes, you can repair it yourself.

Go to your local marina and get a Gel Coat repair kit that will do a black hull.

When you are done it may or may not look perfect but it will not be noticeable.

Spring

Seaman Apprentice

You maybe could fill with jb weld and color with a black magic marker?

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bob_VT....I'll look into that option.

If it is not fixed right away can it lead to other issues?

dawitner

Cadet

Go to www.spectrumcolor.com and get their phone #, they do not have on line ordering. If you give them the make, model and year along witht he color they can whip up a batch of gel coat repair. Costs about 35 bucks and matches EXACTLY.

mytquinn

Cadet

Any pics?

If it is below the waterline, then I would fix it sooner rather than later. It can cause delamination if exposed to water for prolonged periods. You'll definitely want to use gel coat to repair it. Check you tube for some repair videos. Make sure you let the area dry out for a few days before repairing it. You don't want to have any moisture in the fiberglass after you've made your repair.

Good luck,

Q

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's not directly below the waterline, more between it and the ring used for securing to the trailer. Does anyone think this is purely cosmetic and will not compromise the structure/strength of the boat depending on the depth of the chip?

I may be at the cottage this weekend so I'll try and get a pic of the damage and upload asap.

However, I have attached a link to a pic of a similar style of boat The damage is in the front where the yellow paint on the hull begins. Just keep in mind that mine would be black instead of yellow.

http://media.tmgcreative.com/2010/T...20/Product-Beauty_1326546/Q7i_img5898_700.jpg

Hopefully I'll have a pic of the damage soon.

robert graham

Admiral

My son just did the same exact thing on the front of his new Sea Hunt boat and he got a fiberglass/gelcoat repair kit from Lowe's or Home Depot for fiberglass tubs,showers,hot tubs, fixed it up like new. Easy fix, then just sand it and polish it. Of course a boat/marina would have a repair kit but might cost more$$$ Good Luck!

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go to www.spectrumcolor.com and get their phone #, they do not have on line ordering. If you give them the make, model and year along witht he color they can whip up a batch of gel coat repair. Costs about 35 bucks and matches EXACTLY.

I will add them to my list of contacts for repair materials. Thank you for the link.