Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon

Realgun

Commander
Anybody have 1?<br /><br />I know Ken does.<br /><br />So far I like mine still don't like the front end look but can live with it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon

I don't have one. As far as little trucks go, I guess they are ok, but I was never one for little trucks and I still get right at 19 mpg with my full size, and yea, what's up with the nosecone on them things?

Kenneth Brown

Captain

My boss has one and really seems to enjoy it. His boat stays docked all the time but will occasionally need a truck so it fits the bill. <br /><br />Regarding the nosecone- My brother is into custom painting and bodywork. One of the biggest fads right now is putting the Colorado front clip on and S10. I do not understand this at all. It is dog a$$ ugly to me.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Heck I sell them (at least the chevrolet) and I even have mixed feelings. The 5 cylinder is nice and the tow rating is only 3500. If it fits your needs go for it.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The oldest boy has a new Colorado.It's ok,I guess.It's kind of loud inside(road noise,air etc..)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I didnt think the front end looked good either until I bought it, now I like it.<br /><br />I bought it cause its a 4 door truck that gets pretty good MPG and I dont have anything heavy to tow.<br /><br />Plus it is mucho easy to park.<br /><br />Now the wife drives it and loves it, she would have never tried driving a full size; too big for her, so another good reason why I bought it.<br /><br />Ken

Realgun

Commander

Bob_VT try 4000Lbs for the 5 cylinder.<br /><br />Honestly 4000 is pretty good. a 4000LB boat all up could be as large as a 21 footer.

youngboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Consumer Reports kinda laughed at it. Mainly because of it's ultra low towing capacity and poor HP. I would rather go get a good looking 2005 Frontier w/265 ponies 4x4 w/rear locker. But those chevy things do look really ugly.<br />SBN how do u get 19mpg in a full size truck. I have a '99 f-150 w/4.6L V8. The best I can get is about 15-16 highway, no lift or anything. All stock except camper shell and bfg tires.

tommays

Admiral

i really get 21 with a 2003 4.3 silverado and really get 17 on short long island trips<br /><br /><br />now my 19 ft boat weights 3850 more or less and i cant even think of towing it with the littel one<br /><br />the full size gets 12 towing it from lng island to upstate<br /><br /><br />tommays

SpinnerBait_Nut

Everyone misses the point about towing capacities.<br />It's not if one can pull it safely, but can it stop it safely in an emergency situation.<br /><br />The loud answer is NO they can't.<br /><br />youngboater, on the highway with the CC set, my truck will get 18.6 to 19.1 depending on the wind and such. All stock, no camper shell or anything. 5.9L Hemi in a 2004 Dodge Ram 4X4 Club Cab. It just got it's first service at 3100 miles Tuesday, so it might get better once it is loosened up some.

youngboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow SBN, that is great, I didn't realize how well the gas mileage was with those hemis.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by youngboater:<br /> wow SBN, that is great, I didn't realize how well the gas mileage was with those hemis.
Yea, this is what they say about them, from my window sticker.<br />"Actual Mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between 11 and 15 mpg in the city,<br />and between <br />14 and 20 mpg on the highway"<br /><br />So mine is getting right at the top marks, but I do not do any hard starts and such and when I am on the highway, the CC is set to the speed limit.<br /><br />Now hook the 21' Gambler to it and it drops, but I have that onboard computer thing and it says anywhere from 15.8 to 16.1 pulling the boat so it's still not that bad. I can live with it.

youngboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't even have a fancy computer to go with my bad gas mileage :eek: oh well, Dodge does make some awesome trucks, like the new 3/4 ton Power Wagon, with a winch and lockers oh and the high clearance axels you're all set!!!

FLATHEAD

Captain

I just went through the buying a smaller truck ordeal. I really wanted to buy the Colorado, I really tried to talk myself into it. But I have to say, ( No offense to those that have them) The truck just seemed cheap. The first thing I noticed about it was the whole side flexed quite a bit when I shut the door. The sheet metal is so thin you can literally push it in with one finger. No power and a poor tow rating. I looked at all the small trucks and ended up with the 2005 Tacoma. Bigger than ever, tons of power, 6300 pounds towing. And I am getting 21 MPG. Just a whole lot more truck for the same money.

Realgun

Commander

Flathead does that Taco need premium fuel too?

FLATHEAD

Captain

Nope that Tacoma runs on the cheap stuff. I don't know where you heard they need premium fuel, someone else mentioned that too. Not true. They run just fine on regular.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

My bud has the colorado with the 3.5L. <br /><br />I liked it until yesterday when we towed with it and now I have my reservations. <br /><br />Had to meet our other friend at the lake, and bring his boat there (he was working late so we met him there). Pulled a Tracker 175 (17ft aluminum bass boat, single axle trailer, mariner 60) and the truck was bucking and bouncing all over the place and the acceleration was pitiful. The boat is 2300 all up with trailer. Colorado is a short cab short bed. Also when we got there I smelled the stink of cooking brake pads. Trailer has no brakes so the truck was doing all the braking and it wasn't happy I guess. We were driving absolutely respectibly, not speeding or stopping short. <br /><br />Towing the boat with my full size 1500 or the boat owner's full size 1500 you honestly don't even know it's there so it is a night and day difference.<br /><br />For a compact truck, it's got nice looks (though folks here are debating that :) ) and good mileage, and performance is good if you keep the tralier off of it.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll stick with my 93 Mustang (V-8) and my friends F-350 Crew Cab Dually Powerstroke.<br /><br />Mustang gets an honest 29-31 highway :D 15-16 city :eek: , but I can live with that. Priest River, ID is a small town and a tank can last me all month.<br /><br />F-350 gets an honest 24-27 highway :D :D , and 23-26 city :D :D He also added a 50 gallon fuel tank/tool box in the bed of the truck, 88 gallon capacity and a range of about 2000 miles, give or take. Less when he is driving it :rolleyes: <br /><br />Craig

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Flahthead: The brochure on the Toyota, and the owners manual both specified premium fuel when I was looking at them last winter. The model was a double cab Tacoma with 4wd, 6 cyl.<br /><br />Of course, the salesman said it wasn't really necessary!<br /><br />I'm glad your truck doesn't have that expensive habit.<br /><br />Jinx