Chevy 350 engine wont start.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
the kicker motor runs fine on the fuel. the fuel dock is 100ft away, I will add a few gallons of fresh.

I noticed 2 things today: the electric choke wasn't hooked up, and its connector had a loose fit. -- I cut it off and crimped on a new terminal

secondly, the choke plate is near wide open. im going to need to make sure it shuts flat when the ignition is turned on.

how many times should I be pumping the throttle (only figured that out today) tried 5, 10, 20 times. I hear like a dry spritzing sound.
not sure fuel is making it to the engine, however I do smell fuel when I try to start it.

back at home charging up the 2 main batteries to full before heading back tomorrow.
2014_11_01_17_18_39.png

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can not add fresh fuel to crap fuel and make good fuel. you need to check the fuel.

that motor and the corrosion is kind of fugly. based on that alone, I highly recommend you pull the starter and check. I can guarantee that the starter armature is rusted. adding more power from another battery bank will not help

the plumbing is questionable. it looks like they added an aftermarket heat exchanger to the motor. the temperature gauge sender is not in the intake manifold, and apears to be in the heat exchanger discharge to the exhaust.

the valve cover breather indicates the valve covers are automotive. marine valve covers would have two ports for the vent tubes to the spark arrestor.

Not positive, however that does not apear to be a marine carb either.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
thanks scott
the P.O. just emailed me back to say it is a 2012 edelbrock marine carb, and that the starter was new at the time of engine swap. He said the starter has not been submersed in water.

he asked if I was firing properly, so if he is doubting it, it may be worth checking the firing order and the timing.
he also suggested using starting fluid (yes I have 2 fire extinguishers on board)

Bondo

Staff member
thanks scott
the P.O. just emailed me back to say it is a 2012 edelbrock marine carb, and that the starter was new at the time of engine swap. He said the starter has not been submersed in water.

he asked if I was firing properly, so if he is doubting it, it may be worth checking the firing order and the timing.
he also suggested using starting fluid (yes I have 2 fire extinguishers on board)

Ayuh,.... Just pour abit of gas down the carb, insteada startin' fluid,....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You don't seem to understand how the choke works. The choke plate does not close when the key is turned on. The choke plate should be closed when the engine is cold. You start the engine and the choke heater begins to open the choke. You have it backwards. If the coke plate is not closed on a cold engine, it is not adjusted correctly, it's stuck open (likely) or there is missing linkage.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
the engine is cold and the choke plate is open I need to adjust it that's exactly what I previously said

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
didn't take any readings on the battery cables, just went ahead and replaced them.

put 2 fully charged batteries in.
ran 2 short 4ga cables to run the batteries in parallel
ran two 63" cables direct from + and - to the block and starter since I was unable to get access to the back of the perko switch, so I bypassed it.

made sure the choke flap was closed - it was
poured a small amount of fuel into the carb,
pumped the throttle until I hear squishing sounds at the carb

cranked it for 5 secs and it fired right up.

waited 5 minutes, turned it off.
tried the key it fires right up again.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited: