Chesapeake boating

jzlizz

Recruit
Not sure where to post this. I'm trying to get some info on boating on the Chesapeake, in general. This being a large body of water, does it compare to the Great Lakes as far as wave and wind action? Is the extreme north end similar to the central area and southern end? We have a 23' Maxum with a cuddy and want to do some week-long excursions. Currently living in northern PA and our boat is up for the winter, but normally spend weekends on Cayuga Lake from end of May to end of September. Is the boating season a little longer down there? Sorry to sound so stupid, but we're fairly new to boating and I figured this might be the best way to get some useful info! Thanks to all who reply.

Emtypckts

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Chesapeake boating

Hey "Lizz" I boat on the Cheasapeake all summer well actually mostly fish on it LOL but it is a great bay and lots of differant areas and yes it is a large body of water but at most points except at the mouth you can always see land and if your ambisious enough you can run up the potomac to DC for dinner and such (not sure of the marinas in DC) then move on up to the Bay Bridge and Sandy Point, there are several light houses also I think you will have a blast good luck and let us know how the excursion turns out<br /><br />PS and yes the waves can get high at times 4 to 5 feet but for the most part they are about 2 although I have had many days out there this summer where it was like glass Good Luck

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Let's try Boating Activities and Destinations, Lizz

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I assume your boat is not bottom painted, so be aware of where the salt water is if you keep it in the water for an extended time.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Your 23' Maxum is not the best hull design for the open waters of the Bay but you should be alright running the smaller rivers and such.<br /><br />Unlike the lakes, the Bay is tidal water and any change in wind or tide will make all the difference in the world. Lakes typically get wind driven waves with a rhythm but in the Bay you have the effect of both wind and tide and when the two forces appose each other you get a a washing machine effect. I’ve seen it go from your typical 1-2’chop to the point where you could not stand up in the boat with nothing more than a tide change more times than I want to remember. <br />As far as the season is concerned, I boat from March to December most years.

jzlizz

Recruit

Wow!! Thanks, all, for the quick, helpful replies. My apologies for being in the wrong posting area (yup, I can see 'destinations' clear as a bell today!), guess too much turkey left me bleary-eyed. As far as the rest, my most important questions were answered. The boating season here is short and we drive 1-3/4 hours to get to the camp and then have to launch each time we go out; no overnight slips, no power or water (wonderful camp, but I'd love to be able to leave the boat in overnight). The few times I've been down along the Chesapeake, I just slip into a trance watching the water and the boats, wondering what it would be like out there. Now I know; better have the right boat for it and know what you're doing!

bill lee

Cadet

Lizz, prior to getting the boat we have now, we trailered a 21' cuddy. We are in Pottsville, pa. We would trailer to Raystown, the Finger lakes, up to NH, and the bay. You can put in at elk neck state park, go over to the bohemia river, up to the c & d canal and other areas. Put in at Duffys creek in Georgetown MD and you can spend the day exploring the sassafras river, anchor over nite. Leave the river and head south for 10 miles and head into still pond.<br />We had no problem with this size boat. Windy day, stay in the rivers and coves. Little or no wind, cruise the bay.( having said this, the weather changes at the drop of a hat in the summer, afternoon thunder storms are common, just keep the vhf on)Get a copy of the Guide to Cruising the Chesapeake Bay (www.cbmmag.net)There is a lot of good information in here. You can pick out different areas for weekend, or week trips without having to cruise the bay.<br />We have just finished our 4th year in a slip on the sassafras with our 30', haven't even discovered 10% of the upper bay and we cruise alot. Hope this is helpful, and just ask if you want some specific info.<br />Bill

sundancer30

Cadet

Bill Lee<br /><br />Do you keep your boat at a marina or<br />a private slip? I have moved from Michigan<br />and was wondering what the cost was per year<br />where your at.<br /><br />Tom

bill lee

Cadet

sundancer30<br />We are in a 35' slip-about $3,000 per season(4/1 to 11/1)nice marina, but a little on the high side. We are at Skipjack Cove, Georgetown, Md. My wife and I say every year that we are going to shop around for a less expensive marina, but never do. Comming down from PA, the trip is 2 1/2 hours one way. Would like to move further down the bay, say kent island area, but then I would be concerned that we would not come down every weekend due to travel time. Plus, we do like the marina and have made some close friends there. <br />Noticed your from the york area. Some friends in the york area that have been at our marina have decided to move to Parkside Marina (around the middle river area on the west side of bay)Price is almost half, as is the travel time. Less amenities in the marina, but the savings can go toward fuel. <br />Bill

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Lizz:<br /> We have a 23' Maxum with a cuddy and want to do some week-long excursions.
We had a 23' Wellcraft cuddy and explored the upper Chesapeake for 17 summers with it. A week long trip is definitely do-able if you prepare. As stated above, the weather always needs to be considered on the Bay, but it rarely stopped us for more than a few hours- the t-storms in the afternoon can get pretty wild. There are lots of coves (or marinas) to ride out a storm.<br /><br /><br />I've boated the Finger lakes all my life, the Bay for 25, and the Chesapeake is, well, different. While the lakes are generally deep and clear, the Bay is shallow and murky. It's hard to get lost on a lake, but some basic navigation skills are important to traverse the Bay without incident. You are almost always within sight of land, but it's easy to get confused because the land masses tend to look similar from the water. Charts, compass, depth finder, and GPS are vital to fun and safe boating on the Bay. <br /><br /> I recommend you give the Chesapeake a try. Once I tried it I was hooked.... but I still go back to NY every chance I get! :D

rwidman

Lieutenant

There is at least one more cruising guide to the Chesapeake Bay in addition to the one recommended above. Also, there is a complete chart book put out by ADC:<br />
305849.jpg
<br /><br />A chart plotter with the appropriate chip for the area will be a great help, there are lots of shallow places in the bay. <br /><br />Weather was mentioned; the weather can turn bad quickly especially in the summer afternoons, in a relatively small boat you may have to duck into a creek for shelter and you'll need to know where they are.<br /><br />We boated on the Chesapeake for a few years before retiring to SC this past March. It's a great body of water for boating if only the season were longer and housing costs were less.<br /><br />BTW: I still have two different cruising guides and the chart book that can go at a good price if you're interrested. :)