Chemotherapy for Rot

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chemotherapy for Rot

What will you do with the rotting wood after you treat it?

morgus

Recruit

Since I won't be removing the front part of the deck, I have removed as much of the rot as possible (small area). I have sprayed with the remaining rot with non diluted Ethylene glycol anti freeze. When this has had a chance to dry, I will apply a patch with epoxy resin saturated fiberglass wood patch.<br />:0)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The deed is done. It was my understanding that epoxy would not adhere effectively to wood saturated in ethylene glycol.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not gonna disagree with you Boomyal, but, I've used antifreeze more than once to kill bad growth in boat interiors....never had this problem with you speak of. Maybe you didn't dry yours out well enough before moving on?...just a Thought

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Boomyal...I read the article...you don't want to leave decomposed wood where you need structure...Cpes aint gonna turn it into good wood. I have epoxied over dried out wood that was treated with eg successfully a couple of times so I know it works...maybe the desert atmosphere I life in helps, I don't know. I din't read the article before I did what I did, so maybe that's why it worked...who knows...just a Thought