Checking trailer brakes

motownbob

Seaman Apprentice
Decided to check my trailer brakes. Surge type, tandem axle trailer brakes on rear axle only. Jacked up the trailer, activated the brakes and on one side the wheel locked up tite, could not spin it. On the other side, could move the wheel, if i pushed hard. Seems like that wheel may be out of adjustment??? Never adjusted brakes before, could i get specifics on how to adjust? Do i need a special brake tool? Thanks, Bob

B_Eager

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Checking trailer brakes

Special tool, looks like a spoon, got to your local auto parts store and ask, they will show it to you. If they cannot tell you how to use it let us know.

motownbob

Seaman Apprentice

Got the tool, i have two access holes on the bottom of the brakes, is one for tighening and the other for loosening? Do you try to pry up a lever? Help!!!

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bob, there is a screw type barrel inside the wheel drum. This screw has the Lower (usually the lower) brake pads resting on each end. If you turn the adjustment star one way, it shortens the screw which loosens the brake pad. Turn it the other way and it extends tht screw which pushes the brake pads away from the screw and into the drum. This tightens the pads up. Turn the star one way and spin the wheel. You will be able to tell if it is looser or tighter...More spin=too loose, less spin and more drag=more drag on the brakes. Get it to where it stops turning at the same lever pressure as the other one.....