Checking out 1985 Ranger 340V with Mariner 135

Hydrilla

Seaman
I'm talking to a guy that is selling a Ranger 340V with a Mariner 135 that is a 1993 model. I know they are short and wide, and people say they get kind of squirrely at high speeds. Other than that, can you guys tell me what I should be concerned about/make sure is ok with a Ranger from this era? He has gone over it and it has the following new items- carpet, steering cable, 3 new batteries, new bilge and livewell pumps, 2 new depth finders, hotfoot, etc. Boat has some clear coat hazing but it isn't bad.

The motor again is a 1993, it was professionally rebuilt 3 years ago and all new Merc parts were used, compression is very good in all cylinders. Lower unit is in perfect shape and oil is regularly maintained. Transom was checked out when the motor was off, and it is solid.

I'm not asking if it's a good deal for the money, that part is up to me (IMHO no boat is a smart buy, it's just if it meets your needs and you can afford it). I'm just wanting to know about Rangers from this era. I have big bass boat experience but I've been fishing out of a 14' tin bass boat as of late, and it's too small for me and my wife to both enjoy fishing without worrying about falling in. Thanks folks.

pops

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Checking out 1985 Ranger 340V with Mariner 135

I have a 1995 Ranger R70 w/115 Mariner that appears to be similar in size and layout to the 340V. It is a great boat with the 115 and is rated for a 135. I would expect no problems with the 135 on the 340V. The only issue I would have is that my boat is manufactured with absolutely no wood in the hull, transom, etc. I don't know the exact year that this change took place, but it would be an issue with me in buying an early model boat, even a Ranger.

omcforever

Recruit

I have a 1995 Ranger R70 w/115 Mariner that appears to be similar in size and layout to the 340V. It is a great boat with the 115 and is rated for a 135. I would expect no problems with the 135 on the 340V. The only issue I would have is that my boat is manufactured with absolutely no wood in the hull, transom, etc. I don't know the exact year that this change took place, but it would be an issue with me in buying an early model boat, even a Ranger.

Ranger did not go to a total composite floor till early 2000's. You have wood in your floors. I have a 1995 R72 and it has wood floors. I know, I had to replace them because they rotted.

omcforever

Recruit

I have a 1995 R72 and it has wood floors. I know, I had to replace them because they rotted. The 340V is no way similar to the R series. The 340V is very wide and short and the R series is narrow and short. The 340V was over a foot and a half wider. The 340V was rated for 150 hp. Mine(1984 340V) had a 200 rude on it and over 65 mph would be scary unstable. Thats why Ranger made them but for a few years. The 320V and 330V where like the R series. Narrow and short.

pops

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ranger did not go to a total composite floor till early 2000's. You have wood in your floors. I have a 1995 R72 and it has wood floors. I know, I had to replace them because they rotted.

The 1995 R series may have had a wood floor, but almost everything else in the boat is composite. The transom (most important), front and rear deck, lids, seat attachment cover over gas tank , etc. Your boat must have sat out in the northern weather all its life, I have never seen a rotted floor in a mid 90s Ranger.

Marathon Man

Cadet

85 340V had wood in transom too. I had one with a 150 XR2 with minimal performance adds, and it would hit 72 on gps. You did have to drive through the chine walk above the mid 60's though. Good small fishing boat, but check the floors and the transom, go climb up on the lower unit and make sure that the transom has ZERO give. Good luck!