Hunting/shooting ear plugs.

mscher

Lieutenant
Need protection to protect the 40% hearing I still have. :(

Hearing protectors that can amplify sounds and then shut down during shot blast, seem like a good idea. Told the wife they could be used as hearing aids at home (with a volume knob, of course).

I like the muffs, but I always seem to push them loose, as I have to get close to the stock. Never tried the electronic ones.

Sportears are supposed to be good, but $1100.00 per pair?

Anyone have some recommendations for good shooting and hunting earplugs?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Hunting/shooting ear plugs.

When I am playing with high power..... I use plugs AND muffs. I have not found the use for electronic or the will to buy them.

Go with a good ear plug that gets OVER a 22 Db reduction. I believe the highest available on the market is 34Db.

dwco5051

Commander

I second the idea of both plugs and muffs for high power shooting. I do have a inexpensive pair of electronic cancelling muffs sold by Cabelas for about $30 or so on sale. I use them when shooting my semi-annual qualifications so I can hear the rangemaster's instructions clearly. They do a more than adequate job when we are all shooting 40 autos. Being able to hear what is being said on the line is more important that 100% hearing protection for safety reasons.

My youngest boy was sighting in his 338 mag with a ported barrel at camp and was resting it on a sandbag on the hood of his truck. Blew the bug shield right off in two pieces. If you are on the range and the person at the next station is shooting a similar rig the only good hearing protection is step back, enjoy a coffee and wait for him to finish.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ear plugs won't do you any good hunting unless you spidey sense is highly developed.haha. I'll check some of the hunting forums I frequent and see if there's any info on some of the hearing systems that some are using

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen small models that fit into the ear, on hunting shows. The host can carry on a regular conversation and fire a gun without ear damage. I would have to do some research on that.

I have to believe that these game ears, which amplify sounds for hunting, have to include some sort of noise cut off. If not, all the hunters using them would be suing for hearing loss.

The bug shield story above reminds me of a buddy in High School years ago. He was shooting at a deer and had his rifle resting on the box of his P/U truck. He fired and damn if he didn't blow a hole in the other side of the bed.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

From what I can gather from the forums a lot of guys are using ear plugs they insert before the shoot. The type that has a cord between the ear plugs so they are around your neck and easy to get at are used the most. Basspro shop has a $20 electronic set of in ear that seem to work quite well for the price. The guys that have hearing loss seem to like the electronic kind the most. Wind is a problem though. For 20 bucks I'd give them a whirl.I never found a single thread with guys using muffs in the field. Ebay has a bunch of the walkers game ear for about 100 each and they claim to have a filter for the wind. It's funny I can't find any reviews on them though. One guy swore by the electronic kind but I did a quick search of the kind he had and found they were up to $2500.In Canada they would qualify as a medical device and you can write them off in your taxes. Hope this helps a little. http://www.espamerica.com/