Checking CD ignition on Force 125HP????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb

Cadet
Well, I thought my motor was running again. I should have known just installing the $20 starter brushes would be too good to be true. Anyway, I finally got my starter cranking my '85 Force 125HP over fast enough to fire and run (sort of), but I'm only running on two cylinders now. Numbers 1 and 2 are firing great, but numbers 3 and 4 are dead as a hammer. I tried to follow some of the advice given in the posts here, and swapped the wires from the ignition boxes to try to isolate the problem. When I switched wires, it tried to fire 3 and 4 (fouled plugs from not firing) and 1 and 2 were dead. My question is, does this mean FOR SURE that the other ignition box is bad? I also switched my input wires from the stator since they have identical plugs and this did not change the problem. I've read some posts about some of the wires being small and brittle causing breaks, but does this apply to the ignition box wires or just in the stator? Also, could this cause this type of problem? Ignition parts for these older Force motors are quite expensive ($220 for new Ignition box) and after spending almost $800 on a rebuild, I'd like to replace the right part the first time. Does anyone know of any other tests that I haven't done to make sure that the ignition box is definitely the problem and not a bad wire or some other part? I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice on this. Summer's almost over and this boat still hasn't seen the water yet!! :eek: <br /><br />Thanks again,<br />John

Newb

Cadet
Re: Checking CD ignition on Force 125HP????

Ok. I've been searching for ignition parts and I've come across a few possible deals but they brought up a couple more questions. First of all, will the CDI boxes from a Force 90HP or 120HP work on the 125HP? My motor has the older black boxes and these have the newer style blue boxes, but I didn't know how different they actually were and if they would even wire up. Is it possible to run one blue box and one black box, or would I have to replace box of my black boxes with the blue ones? I saw where outboardparts.com lists the replacement CDI for the '85 125HP as having a blue case. I think the boxes I'm looking at buying are from a '92 120HP, but I'm not sure. If so, will '92 boxes work on an '85, and would this require any major wiring changes to accomplish? If not, how difficult would it be to put the entire ignition system (stator, trigger, CDI boxes, coils, flywheel, etc.) from a '92 120HP on the '85 125HP? Is there any difference between the two that would make this change worth doing, or are they basically the same thing? They look very similar and I can't see changing all of the stuff out if they are the same parts. After all, I may only need the one CDI box. If I could just swap CDI's then I could save the rest of the parts for spares later on. Sorry for all the endless questions, but I have no clue about the ignitions on these things. I hope someone out there can shed some light on all of this for me. I just want to get my boat running again.....<br /><br />Thanks again everyone,<br />John

blue bayou

Cadet

I would check all wires for breaks and/or looseness. It sounds like a CDI box. I replaced one in my 1987 Force 125 HP with a blue version. I was told by a local shop to replace the coils hooked up to the box to match. I also heard it doesn't matter what color any of it is. But I did what my local shop suggested and all is well. Try to find good used parts. That's what I'm running. I was hesitant on purchasing the whole ignition bracket (4 coils, 2 CDI boxes, and wiring)for $200. I'm glad I did.

Newb

Cadet

Thanks for the info blue bayou. Looks like I've got a different problem than I thought, though. Here's an update. I was checking out the wiring for breaks as such, and I decided to hook the timing light up just to make sure the bottom two weren't firing when I moved around the wires. I'm glad I did this. Number 3 WILL fire occasionally, but you have to move the plug wire around in the coil to get it to fire. Number 4 is still dead, but with number 3 firing when you move the plug wire around, then I would think that the CD box is ok and it's actually the coils on these two that need replaced. Does this sound correct? If the cd box was out, it shouldn't fire 3 or 4 any of the time, but 3 can fire at times. With that information, I guess I'm on the hunt for a pair of coils. I've seen where it looks like nearly all early Force outboards use the same coil, part #182-4475R, so I'm assuming any coil from any other Force outboard will work. Does anyone know if this is correct or not? As always, I'd appreciate any advice or info on this problem that others can pass along.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />John

Walker

Captain

Swap the coils around and see if your dead spark follows the coils. You said in your first post that when you switched the CDI leads around that you lost 1 & 2. That doesn't sound like coil problems, but swaping the coils will verify this.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you have a bad coil and a CD that fires only on one plug. CD often fail with only one plug not two. You can mix blue and black but the blues made by Mercury have a different wiring from their predicessors. If the coil wire is shorting at the coil its not repairable. If at the spark plug cap it is repairable. Your on the right track. :cool:

Newb

Cadet

Ok, I think I've done this right. I swapped the input wires from the CD box to the number 3 and 4 coils. 3 still fires off and on, but 4 still does nothing. This would indicate a bad coil on 4 then and not a bad CD, right? I know that the number 3 coil will have to be replaced because the plug wire is broken where it enters the coil, and if you move the wire around, it will fire. By the way, when I swapped my CD leads (as mentioned in the first post), I didn't have the ones to plugs 1 and 2 hooked up like I thought, which explains why they didn't fire. With them actually hooked up and switched, 1 and 2 will fire normally, 3 is intermittent, and 4 is dead---the same as hooked up the origional way. So, with all these tests, is it the consensus that it is the coil on number 4, since nothing I've switched will make it fire? As I said, boat electronics are not my area and I've already misdiagnosed the problem twice, so I'm kind of relying on the groups knowledge at this point. Thanks for all the help and tips so far. Hopefully this info has narrowed it down to a definite problem and I can get it up and running soon.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />John

Olson

Cadet

Newb,<br />Need coils? CD packs? Call Rapair/CDI electronics (256) 772-3829 and ask them for an authorized dealer near you. I recently found out this info but haven't ordered any parts yet. :)

Borinet

Recruit
can I use CDI box f653301-1 instead of the original f475301-1? they look the same

Status
Not open for further replies.