Cheap Stereo Documentation Question

HiTekRedNek

Cadet
I recently bought a used Sea Ray with an el-cheapo Gravity MGR-208BT stereo installed. The radio works. Sounds OK. This radio is still available at Amazon and other retailers, so it's not ancient. It even has a lot of advanced features that would be great, if only I had a clue how to use them. The controls are not at all intuitive (at least not to this boomer) and an owner's manual would be really helpful.

I'm pretty good at searching the internet for downloadable manuals, but this one has me stumped. Does anyone out there have one of these radios? If you have the documentation for it, could you share the manufacturer's web address? Or if anyone has had luck finding this manual online could you point me there?

Thanks in advance!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
contact some of the sellers on amazon. looks to be a generic chineseum brand. even my google-fu has failed me here.

HiTekRedNek

Cadet
contact some of the sellers on amazon. looks to be a generic chineseum brand. even my google-fu has failed me here.
I did find a manufacturer in Panama (as in canal) called gravitycaraudio dot com. They even have very similar model numbers. Thought I'd found it, but no dice. I'll see if any retailers reply. Thanks!

briangcc

Commander
I'd just replace it. In the grand scheme of things, my sanity (and having a better product) is worth more than figuring out a knock off radio.

**My googling failed as well.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
I got a pair of Pyle bluetooth speakers off Amazon for about $75. They're great and I'll never install a stereo in a boat again. They have built in amplifier and are pretty powerful. I have a lot of music on my phone, and with Amazon music at such a good monthly fee, I have hundreds of albums on my phone and it's great. That's just me though. Oh, and my wife loves the extra storeage of the glovebox I slid into the hole where the stereo was!!

HiTekRedNek

Cadet
I'd just replace it. In the grand scheme of things, my sanity (and having a better product) is worth more than figuring out a knock off radio.

Thanks! That's kinda where I am right now. Maybe Santa will bring me a new radio for... umm... err... that non-denominational Winter Holiday. Ho Ho Ho.

HiTekRedNek

Cadet
I got a pair of Pyle bluetooth speakers off Amazon for about $75. They're great and I'll never install a stereo in a boat again. They have built in amplifier and are pretty powerful. I have a lot of music on my phone, and with Amazon music at such a good monthly fee, I have hundreds of albums on my phone and it's great. That's just me though. Oh, and my wife loves the extra storeage of the glovebox I slid into the hole where the stereo was!!
Not a bad idea. I don't have much of a music collection on my phone, though. I do have the Sirius XM app, but of course I'd need to be in range of a cell tower to use it. Cell coverage can be sketchy out on the lakes here in the Northwoods of Wisconsin.

briangcc

Commander
I was looking at the Rockford Fosgate PMX-3 to replace my hunk of junk radio. I currently have a Jensen MS3A which I do not recommend - pain to use, pain to synch to, pain to adjust, just an overall pain.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
I thought I'd take my shot. I googled the ASIN number (B01LWYLFGH) to see if that would lead anywhere. It leads everywhere, and nowhere. It also lead to the Kenwood Bluetooth radio in my boat that's several years old and has a different layout--but same features.
I think that's the key here. There are dozens of Chinese knock-off single-DIN radios that differ only in the face.
Download a manual for any and it will guide you to using the features of yours.

Edit to add:
BTW the display and buttons on yours look to be way easier to see in sunlight than my Kenwood. To me that matters far more than what brand is on it.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Rarely do I ever find even the newer named brand Marine radios with a substantial multifunctional LCD display an issue to figure out involving the controls.

Wiring them however might be problematic if the install guide is missing the wiring color reference or has no engraved name for it (ex: 12 volt amp trigger)

I may skip buying a replacement boat AM/FM radio for my recent boat acquisition and just bring a decent strength and quality Bluetooth battery powered speaker that has option for 3.5mm jack in case Bluetooth won't work.

That way you can take your smart phone and cordless speaker wherever. You just need to figure out how to secure it while underway.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Apple deleted most of my Mp3s from my phone, I had about 8000 songs, and now it is down to 1500. I prefer CDs and in a pinch, USB Flash Drives, but the latter are a PIA to navigate

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I may skip buying a replacement boat AM/FM radio for my recent boat acquisition and just bring a decent strength and quality Bluetooth battery powered speaker that has option for 3.5mm jack in case Bluetooth won't work.

That way you can take your smart phone and cordless speaker wherever. You just need to figure out how to secure it while underway.
I simply added a Bluetooth adapter to my existing stereo/CD player and went 100% steaming with a Spotify Premium account.

Full control from my Iphone. Use the "radio" simply as a power amp to drive the speakers

HiTekRedNek

Cadet
Apple deleted most of my Mp3s from my phone, I had about 8000 songs, and now it is down to 1500. I prefer CDs and in a pinch, USB Flash Drives, but the latter are a PIA to navigate
I never got into collecting music files on my phone. Maybe I should. Good points to this single DIN radio were a) it's already in the boat b) it has a CD player, AUX and Bluetooth inputs. I was monkey-poking the buttons to try to figure out the Bluetooth connection and the audio output suddenly went to crap (not as the monkey was poking the buttons). Sounds like the audio amp took a dump. So the decision's been made for me. Hey kids! What time is it? It's new radio time! Thanks to all!

HiTekRedNek

Cadet

The boating gods just confirmed your opinion. The audio output went to hell while I was mucking about with the radio. So I will be replacing it. Thanks!