Chart Plotting Depth Finder Combos Which One

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
I am in the market for a navigation depth finder combo. I am not a serious fisherman. I will use it on large island lakes and coastal marine. I want to spend about 400 to 600 $. I will use it on a 17 ft CC boat. I am most concerned about navigation and a depth finder for safety. I don't mind the fish finding capability but that's not critical. I have read a number of reviews of the various products on this site and others and I have targeted the Garmin 547XS 5 inch screen. It comes with the dual frequency transducer and all factory mounting accessories for $499. Priorities are: reliability, ease of use and screen resolution. I don't think I need the Chirp Transducer which is available as an upgrade.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Am I on the right track? BTW after looking at all the videos (I'm a do it myself guy) I think I'm going to have a professional install it.

Fed

Commander
The Navionics app is a wonderful thing, smart phone & tablet, SD & HD, free trial versions with downloadable maps.
All the basic functions continue working even after the trial expires & the paid versions are cheap as chips.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Go to Amazon and look around. Read the features and reviews on the ones you like. All the 'name brand' units are great. I have a Lowrance Elite 4 chirp for a little over $300. It has the fish finder with the chart plotter, I like the 'man overboard' feature that gps marks when someone was to fall out of the boat :( I only used the gps speedometer, water temperature and depth function this year but will do some fishing with it next year :)