charging problems

pontoonrob

Cadet
Hello happy boaters! I have owned my 1986 29ft Aloha pontoon boat with 115hp motor now for over 3 years. here is my problem, Soon after buying it, on one of my fishing trips,the "alternator" burnt up! This happened at night so I didn't notice anything untill the next day,when I saw the paint was bubbled on the shroud. pulled off the cover and what a mess,burnt stuff everywhere!My boat mechanic came out said the alternator was shot and it would be 6 hundred dollars or so to fix..So I didn't. He clipped a wire and said I could mannually charge the battery,which I did for a long time. Finally when the lower unit quit I decided to fix it all at one time. The new "alternator" didn't last 10 hrs. No fire this time it just quit charging.My boat mechanic and I had harsh words over this and as a result I still have to pull the battery to keep it charged. I am now ready to get it replaced again,but what should I check or what causes these things to quit so soon.Motor runs fine. Rob :confused:

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: charging problems

Number uno, get a manual. The electrical system on these engines is real simple. It's a magneto. The stator has two sets of coils. One set runs the motor, The other one charges the battery. By replacing the flywheel, stator (under the flywheel) and rectifier, you've replaced the entire charging system.<br />Six hundred skins??? Huuumm.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

petryshyn

Commander

Was the rectifier/regulator replaced?<br />Are you charging multiple batteries?<br />Are you shifting a battery selector switch while running?<br />Do you have a voltmeter installed?<br />Do you run with any accessories?<br />Prolonged Idle?<br /> :confused:

pontoonrob

Cadet

O.K.The flywheel also needs to be replaced? I am not sure if the stator was replaced when the thing on top of the flywheel was replaced. I do have a volt meter installed.When the motor is running it shows no charging going on. I only charge 1 battery and the only accesssories on the boat are radios {vhf and am-fm},and normal lighting. the trolling motor battery is not hooked up to boat wiring in any way yet.I am not a believer in prolonged idle.Rob

Hooty

Rear Admiral

As far as I know, the only thing that can go wrong with the flywheel (electrically) is the magnets come loose, so I don't think ya got flywheel problems. If you have a VOM and know how to use it, the manual will outline the tests for checking the stator coils and rectifier/regulator.<br />Check out Schematic's reply. Was your tach acting weired? If so, I'd check the rectifier.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

ebbtide176

Commander

i hope you can get the manual and follow the steps, as $40 for a manual and $20 for a handheld voltmeter will probably save many other $$$ in the future.<br /><br />now, i'm curious- what will prolonged idle cause to happen to the charging system?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Ya may pull Schmetic out of the shadows and get him to reply to this but I can't see where prolonged idling would hurt anything. Ya might not get your battery charged but it's not gonna hurt anything.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

superman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have a Voltohmmeter check continuity between the 2 stator wires that go to the rectifier. if you have continuity then put your voltmeter on ac volt scale and turn the motor to pass the magnet over the stator coils. You should see a little voltage in your meter reading If you get a reading then your flywehhl and stator are working look at rectifier. If not then ck stator.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

maybe I'm missing something, but this sounds more<br />like an overheating problem. (bad)<br />what's that got to do with a faulty rectifier<br />or stator? please enlighten me guys.... :confused: <br />M.Y.

superman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He had a charging problem and a stator burned up. Evidently no short on output side of rectifier because batteries not draining when not in use. Batteries not charging. Problem either reappeared or was not properly repaired at the beginning. Isolating where there is an ac pulse output to rectifier.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

thanks superman, are you saying that this could<br />cause the motor to get hot enough to blister<br />paint???? still confused.<br />M.Y.

superman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No. He said he had the boat repaired but it has quit charging.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

quote:<br />"This happened at night so I didn't notice anything until the next day,when I saw the paint was bubbled on the shroud"<br />still confused,<br />M.Y.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

gotcha... still curious how a faulty stator/rectifier could cause a fire origionally.<br />I see now that it was eventually "fixed", but is this a bogus diagnosis by the wrench or could it really happen and how???

superman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't know original circunstances but he had it repaired and it has been running fine but not charging.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Parts manual does not show 1986 115HP, what is your model number. Some of thses engines only had a rectify without a regulator and some had a regulator, inportant to know what you have.

pontoonrob

Cadet

Hey guys I'm back. its been a real busy week. Ok, so I jumped into Lake Hamilton this weekend so I could read the model and serial numbers on my motor {easier to read}.Sr#G1068867,mdlE115TLCOUSA.so what year is my motor? Also the part that burnt up orginally was just under the flywheel,not on top!Was that the recifier? Thanks guys for all your help so far. Rob

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

sounds like the stator. still don't understand how<br />this part could cause a fire?? perhaps someone can<br />tell us here...<br />stator sends current to rectifier/regulator which<br />converts it and in turn charges the battery.