Charging problem...

Jersey13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
'86 Mercruiser 170, stock charging system. I put my meter on the battery when she was running, no change in voltage when bringing r's up (11-12volts) Even after running her around for a while, still hard, slow cranks. Volt gauge (not that i trust it but..)on dash never goes above 12 volts. Stator has two thick yellow w/red tracer wires going to the water cooled voltage regulater (i'm guessing this is the rectifier to change from ac to dc?), one orange off of the Volt Reg to starter solenoid and one red w/purple tracer going to circuit breaker then back to the starter solenoid. I've read about the charging system on these were faulty and to just change over to a reg alternator with the kit but, i did some tests and there is voltage coming out the startor wires and increases with rpm's. I don't know how to test voltage reg or know what readings i should be seeing from either because my book is pretty lame. If anyone can send me some info on how and what to test and what kind of readings i should be getting, i would really appreciate it. Thanks.<br /><br />- Jersey

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Charging problem...

jersey, you need a new regulato/rectifier...if you got AC goin in and nuthin comin out...is crap.......just like puters..garbage in/garbage out....this is NOT a cheap part...and dont buy it used...

High Tide

Cadet

I am having close to the same problem with my yamaha. I get a real high number of voltage off the lighting coil (at least 16), but my battery voltage reading off of the posts goes up only .20 or so from normal battery voltage with the engine running at good rpms. (say, 12.75, it will go upto 12.95 running in my garage with the hose attached). My battery is new, and fully chaged.<br /><br />My book says my rectifer will not allow current to a full battery. So is this number right? Is my book right, and everything is fine. My battery is new, it is just a starting battery, no deep cycle. I'm not sure if this is the way it was last year. I didn't get a depth finder until this year, and that's when I started seeing that voltage wasn't getting super high.<br /><br />Please help me if you can!<br /><br />------------------<br />It's a good thing I can swim!

Retro

Cadet

Those **** Yamaha's!<br /><br />What year, and what horsepower? I'm going through similiar problems right now too. But I think I may have solved mine.<br /><br />I'm curious about the "..won't charge a full battery..." Does anyone know if that means the rectifier grounds out all voltage, or is the .20 volts what it deems necessary to maintain full charge?