Charging or not

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have a Evinrude 50hp electric (remote) start. Can any body tell if this motor charges the batt. when it is running?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It should if everything's working right but the best way to know for sure is to put a voltage meter on the battery when the motor is running and see if it's at 14v

jbcurt00

Staff member
How about we move this over to the Evinrude/Johnson outboard forum.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
It should if everything's working right but the best way to know for sure is to put a voltage meter on the battery when the motor is running and see if it's at 14v

If the battery is somewhat discharged it may take a while to rise to 14 volts

Therefore I'd connect the voltmeter before starting and watch the reading after starting.

If it only recovers to the initial reading it is not charging.

If it rises above the initial reading its is charging,

If all is well the volt will gradually climb to 14 as the battery recharges, even higher if it is not regulated

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys, jbcurt00 it is OK with me. How do we do it?
Watermann and Vic.s, I will try the volt meter to make sure. Thanks all you guys for the come back Trains1938

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the battery is somewhat discharged it may take a while to rise to 14 volts

Therefore I'd connect the voltmeter before starting and watch the reading after starting.

If it only recovers to the initial reading it is not charging.

If it rises above the initial reading its is charging,

If all is well the volt will gradually climb to 14 as the battery recharges, even higher if it is not regulated
Good advice. Volt meter is a must for electrical troubleshooting.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Good advice. Volt meter is a must for electrical troubleshooting.
Its the right "tool" for this job but you do have to be aware that digital voltmeters take so little current that they can often give a normal reading even through bad connections.
There are times when a test lamp on a couple of leads is more appropriate as it takes a bit of current.

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I tried the volt meter on the batt. Seems to be charging OK. Thanks for your input