Charging location

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In what may be a series of rookie questions I am starting a new thread on where to charge my battery. You can see my thread on batteries and chargers here if you like: http://forums.iboats.com/electrical...st-time-battery-charger-questions-591879.html

My question is with my Everstart 24DC battery (EverStart Group Size 24DC Marine Battery: Automotive : Walmart.com) can I safely charge it in my basement? I have read things about gas, sparks, etc. My storage area is pretty small say 10' x 30'. My air handler, hot water heater, fuse box and extra fridge are also in this area (no gas in house). Is it safe to charge/maintain my battery here? What it that is also where I store my 9.8 outboard which I run out of gas before bringing inside so no one steals it? Sometimes the outboard smells up the room like gas. There are no windows in the room. Thanks for your patience!

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Charging location

Lead Acid batteries give off hydrogen gas when they are charged. Hydrogen gas is very flammable. Think Hindenburg. While one battery charging at a low rate wont produce that much gas, it is still not reccomended to charge it in a closed room with sources of ignition present.

Dodger1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lead Acid batteries give off hydrogen gas when they are charged. Hydrogen gas is very flammable. Think Hindenburg. While one battery charging at a low rate wont produce that much gas, it is still not reccomended to charge it in a closed room with sources of ignition present.

Another add on for dumb questions - Is the battery itself considered a source of ignition ( positive and negative posts ) ??.
Thanks, Dodger1234

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So does that mean I have to charge it outside? How do I maintain it?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The battery is not a source of ignition.
I wouldn't charge it in the basement unless you have no other option. If you do charge it there I'd stick around and use your nose to see how bad the hydrogen is getting. Hydrogen rises. If nothing else the house may get a rotten egg smell. One little battery on a slow charge isn't much of an explosion hazard but some risk is still there. Outside would be great, or a detached storage building.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You have way more explosion hazard opening the cap on a can of lacquer thinner than you do charging a battery. Hydrogen gas diffuses extremely fast and unless you have it in a totally sealed/unventilated room, you don't need to worry too much.

If you charged it in a basement, any hydrogen gas would probably be in the room above within seconds. You can't smell hydrogen either...its odorless.

I would be 100 times more worried about the outboard and its gas than charging a battery.

Outside would be great, or a detached storage building.
How about all those old folks sucking pure oxygen, do they need to go outside or in a detached storage building? The risk of pure oxygen is just as big of a risk if not greater than hydrogen. :)

Dodger1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The battery is not a source of ignition.
I wouldn't charge it in the basement unless you have no other option. If you do charge it there I'd stick around and use your nose to see how bad the hydrogen is getting. Hydrogen rises. If nothing else the house may get a rotten egg smell. One little battery on a slow charge isn't much of an explosion hazard but some risk is still there. Outside would be great, or a detached storage building.

What about in a storage compartment on the bow of the boat? Nothing in there but the battery and I leave the 2 bank 5 amp charger plugged in when the boat is parked in the garage. There is no ignition source that I am aware of?
Dodger1234

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Hydrogen can dissipate extremely rapidly. Depends on how airtight the enclosure is. If the there is any wood along the surface of the compartment(like a seat cushion) it will travel through that in seconds.

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the help guys. Seems like opinions are somewhat divided. I ended up sitting it on my porch and charging it, although this is far from ideal. The more I review the posts, is seems like I should be fine indoors unless I am smoking beside it :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The more I review the posts, is seems like I should be fine indoors unless I am smoking beside it :)
Seriously, it's probably worse farting while you are smoking. :)