Charger question

Claude75

Cadet
Hey guys: <br /><br />I have a quick question about battery chargers. I have a automotive battery charger that has the settings 12V (2AMP) and 12V (6AMP). I have set it at 12V (6AMP). The battery has something like 625A and 80 min written on it. Last year we used it up and know I want to recharge it. It has been sitting in the garage all winter. I've never used a battery charger before so bear with me. There is some gauge on the front that has numbers from 1-7 and 0-100%. I would like to know:<br /><br />1. How long do I charge it for?<br />2. How will I know its fully charged?<br />3. I am using the correct settings?<br />4. Can I charge it for a few hours stop and continue the next day? <br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Claude

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Charger question

The numbers 1 -7 are the amperage going to the battery during the charge cycle. When charging a discharged battery the meter would likely read "6" (on the six amp setting of course). As the battery charges, the meter may gradually decrease to "1" or less. At that point you can assume its fully charged. How long the process takes depends on the size of the battery and deeply it was discharged. The 2Amp setting is more of a maintainer setting. You could leave the charger connected for long periods of time without damaging the battery. Why start and stop the charge cycle? Start charging and turn it off when done. Batteries do not like to sit in a discharged state.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Charger question

Electrics topic