Channel Lock Stuck In Distributor?

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was doing wires, cap, rotor on my 5.7 Mercruiser this weekend, first time doing it and it was going well until the rotor would not come off. I tried everything but ended up having to break it off piece by piece, wasn't that bad to do, and just cleaned up all the pieces and was ready to add the new one. This came as one kit, maybe not a kit but a package the marina put together for me. Everything was correct but the rotor is confusing me for this reason. The reason being is that the new one has a channel lock (i think it's called) and yet my distributor appears to be a solid round shaft, no notch. This is odd because wihtout the notice wouldn't the rotor distributor just spins freely without the rotor turning?

I felt all around it with my hand and it feels smooth, no notches, no other piece stuck in there, which leads me too..... I talked to a boat mechanic (a friend of a friend) and he seems to think that the channel lock is stuck in the notch on the distributor, when we broke it off it must have stayed in place and it being stuck might be why it was such a PITA to get off. The only thing that causes me to pause on that idea is how smooth that shaft is, if the lock was stuck in the channel I feel like I would be able to feel it, if not see it.

I wanted to get your opinions, and the reason I am here getting opinions and not digging into this issue is that I was working on it later on a Sunday and I ran out of time/light, and then its been raining the past few days so I'm trying to get a head start so that the next day I can work on it I can just get right to it. I was in the process of winterizing and this stopped me dead.

The next items on the list would have been to fire it up, change the oil, drain the block, anti-freeze, fog etc etc.

** that was my original post, since then most users have agreed the channel lock is in there, my question now is whats the best way to get it out?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
post up a pic, I'd think about using a very small screwdriver, or a pick.

todhunter

Canoeist
My rotor was stuck and I broke it pulling it off. The little tab that aligns the rotor to the shaft also had a piece break off and stick in the shaft. I used a small hammer and flat head screwdriver and tapped on the broken piece of plastic stuck in the shaft and it came right out.

My replacement rotor instructions told me to put a drop of red loctite in that groove, so it's no surprise to me that the old one may get stuck when trying to remove it.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
You need to mark distributor and rotor positions best that you can and remove. I suspect a piece has broken off and may destroy distributor bearing surface.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Use a light and look closer. You need to clean the notch of broken rotor bits

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My rotor was stuck and I broke it pulling it off. The little tab that aligns the rotor to the shaft also had a piece break off and stick in the shaft. I used a small hammer and flat head screwdriver and tapped on the broken piece of plastic stuck in the shaft and it came right out.

My replacement rotor instructions told me to put a drop of red loctite in that groove, so it's no surprise to me that the old one may get stuck when trying to remove it.
Thank you, this is what I believe my case to be as well, I will be back working on it tomorrow.

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
yup that was it, i used a heat gun to loosen it if there was locktite, and tapped it with a flathead and hammer and it came right out! job complete.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Why does Merc want Loctite on these? Had a number of old school distributors never had to do that

Bondo

Staff member
Why does Merc want Loctite on these? Had a number of old school distributors never had to do that
Ayuh,..... I donno, 'n never spoke to anybody that knows,......
It ain't like it could go anywhere,.....

I don't glue 'em back in, 'n never had a problem,......

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
In fact I usually put a bit of grease on mine just so it DOESN'T get stuck, and going back to the mid 70s when I started doing tune ups, never had a stuck rotor!

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't know but I didn't use any, I had to tap it on there with a rubber mallet, it does not slide on and off with ease, the Loctite seems like overkill in my case at least.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
none of the peeps I know that work there know..... the ones that did retired.