changing ratios

billder62

Seaman Apprentice
I have a line on a alpha 1 gen 2 drive but it came off a 3.0 and I have a 5.7 , My question is how difficult is it to change ratios Is it just a matter of having the gears changed or is it more involved , (costly) . or should I just be looking for a 150 drive ? thanks for your input

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: changing ratios

yep, its pretty much a simple matter of changing gears, will add 600 or so to your purchase by the time its over.
I would keep hunting for the correct drive assy.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Have you looked at the SEI replacement drives? They are very reasonable and have had good press in the forums.

billder62

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, I was just getting ready to order an sei116, but bumped into this complete drive w 30 hrs from a boat that was damaged in car accident. But if it is gonna cost me that much more then I dont think its worth it .

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

since:

need special tool(s) to properly install upper gears (cost and labor)

never hurts to check / change the u-joints (adds cost and labor)

Gears and the above will easily run over 500 by the time you're done

You can buy a new, complete upper with new heavy duty U-Joints and a warranty for $600 from sei.

Assuming your lower unit is in good shape like mine is...

This wound up to be the best, most cost effective solution to swap gear ratios on my drive...

That being said; If the lower is an unknown, and you have to give more than a "song" for the 1.98 ratio drive, the complete sei drive for ca. 1100 is a no brainer...

just my two cents...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

don't forget the 3 year "no-fault" warranty!!!!