Changing motor oil on 2005 Mercury 4 stroke.

powderman1

Recruit
Just wondering how I get the old oil out. It doesn't have brass fitting on the dip stick for my pump. Is there a plug somewhere or do I need some other style of pump to remove it?

octane

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Changing motor oil on 2005 Mercury 4 stroke.

if the 2005's are like my 2008, there is a drain plug about 5 inches below the cowling on the passenger side of the engine, you will need to tilt the engine up, and turn the steering left, and the oil will drain into a pan easily.

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 07 90 4stroke is the same as above. I would kindly suggest you purchase an owners or service manual before you get too far into doing your own mtce........Irv964

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

as octane stated..change the filter as well

raymor

Seaman

I also found that you do not get all the old oil out when doing this. Tilt the motor back down after replacing the oil drain plug and then back up and you will find you get another quart of oil to come out. First time I did it could not figure out why it only took a little less than 4 quarts to fill it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

My neighbor's late model 225HP 4 cycle Merc has a removeable plastic panel on the midsection. The oil drain is under it. We found it and the filter location by looking in the owners manual. Use the proper FC-W rated oil

Fed

Commander

I also found that you do not get all the old oil out when doing this. Tilt the motor back down after replacing the oil drain plug and then back up and you will find you get another quart of oil to come out. First time I did it could not figure out why it only took a little less than 4 quarts to fill it.

A friend of mine dropped his lower unit out and got a big spill out of the driveshaft hole, I suggested to him he was 'making oil' and he laughed at me.
I took a look at some exploded drawings and it seems to me that the only way that could happen is if when tilted the oil level was above the adaptor plate and layed in the front pocket.
That sounds the same as what happened to you raymor, did you happen to check the oil level before you drained it?
My friend is a bit of a 'know it all' so I'm not convinced 'making oil' wasn't the problem.

If the motor was a Verado you must drain the oil before removing L/U if not their was a good chance the oil pump to driveshaft seals are leaking. As far as quanity of oil almost every manufacturer wants the oil level in the middle of the hi and lo hash marks.

raymor

Seaman

No I am not making oil as I measured the oil that came out and it was just a little less than 4 quarts and got the last quart out when I repeated the tilt down/tilt back up. The oil level was right at the point it was when I last changed it.

Fed

Commander

ross m adams send me a PM I may be able to help you with a manual.

jeffersondodson561 my mates motor was purchase new in Australia about a year ago so I guess it could have been manufactured 2008-2009? I don't know what a Verado is, I have a downloaded manual for a 2001+ fuel injected 115HP 4 stroke & I'm assuming they haven't changed very much to the current motors.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here about leaking seals, if the drive shaft is pulled then there's a big hole there anyway?

raymor maybe it doesn't need extra oil to get above the adaptor plate, my mate drives his car like a granny so that means hard braking & idle speed acceleration, he also reverses up a steep driveway where he stores his boat. Given this it's easy to imagine oil getting pushed into the pocket above the adaptor plate and if the motor wasn't lowered to drain back to the sump before re-raising and undoing the sump plug then some oil could be retained above the adaptor plate.

Ross, I think I downloaded a manual from this link.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309079&p=2072211#post2072211

Last edited:

On this particular motor the driveshaft has gears that operate the oil pump, you will have to pull the Powerhead and maybe your oil pump is leaking see if this helps. #13 is the seal

merc_oil_pump_115.png