Changing Lower Unit Oil

JZ

Cadet
I recently purchased a used Mercury 4.0 hp outboard. It runs great, but I want to be sure it stays that way. I don't have the manuals and need some instructions on how to change the lower unit oil and what type of oil to use. Also, so I need to grease it anywhere and any other maintenance I should be aware of?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for the help,<br /><br />JZ

philiplutz

Cadet
Re: Changing Lower Unit Oil

unfortunatly people don't seen to respond to these kinds of issues. I am still wondering to. I have learned you want to run high grade tcw-3 mixing oil havoline or other quality oil change your plugs 2 times an year depending on use and your gear oil 2 year I do not know what kind or synthetic will help and spray out your carbs whith carb cleaner to get all gas out then with fogging oil to store other than that i don't know much if you learn anything let me know i will do like wise

JZ

Cadet
Re: Changing Lower Unit Oil

Yep, that's my initials. <br /><br />philiplutz, did you mean change gear oil every two years or twice a year? All i've found so far is the directions on the back of the lower unit oil that I bought at Academy. It assumes you know where the upper and lower plugs are. I think I know, just wanted some more advice on the subject so I don't screw anything up.