Changing controller query

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Wellcraft Sportsman has a single lever throttle/gear controller. It is fitted with the "push button" throttle only switch and while it all works well enough, it is a bit sticky and stiff. New cables are on the to do list but I'd prefer to have the dual control type, ie. one lever for throttle and another for gear selection.
I don't care for the "throttle only" button set up as it requires two hands to operate it and is a bit fiddly. I wonder would there be any issues with doing a complete swap with changing the controller. My current set up already has two cables, one for throttle and the other for gear shift.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
more transmissions and lower units have been grenaded by separate throttle and gear select levers. that is why the single lever controls were invented.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the response, but could you elaborate? By "grenade" I assume you mean "destroyed". And if so, would this be because of an inherent design/function flaw or is it the result of improper operation. If it's the latter, I'd be happier as I don't normally reside at the shallow end of the gene pool. I Have heard people rev outboards before crashing them into gear, with the accompanying loud clank. Ouch!

So, what issues, if any, actually exist with a dual controller?

Thanks again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
because people dont back the throttle down to idle to put it in gear. that act alone literally explodes the dog gears and lower unit.

what is the issue you have with the single control, and why not simply correct that problem. if its simply the sticky and stiff. replace your lower shift cable (have to do that regularly anyway), lubricate the controls and go boating.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
At the risk of repeating myself, as per my original post, new cables are on the to do list. But while I'm at it, I'm considering replacing the controller, as I don't really like the way the single controller operates. I prefer the notion of having the gear shift and throttle divorced and operating independently and separately. I have to use both hands to disengage the gear shift and engage the "throttle only" function, which means letting go of the wheel. I'm right handed and the controller is on the right hand side of the wheel, so my right hand operates the lever, while my left hand/thumb crosses my body to operate the "throttle only" button, which in itself is a bit stiff and fiddly, despite dismantling/cleaning etc. This might not sound like a big deal but it's uncomfortable and awkward.

So, aside from improper use, what are the pros and cons over my system and a dual lever controller?

Thanks in advance.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm guessing you have a flush mount controller. Does anyone even make the dual lever controller you are thinking about anymore?

I agree that the single lever controller with the throttle only button in the center of the controller can be a bit awkward to operate. I'm wondering why you need to go with throttle only often, except for a few pumps to get some fuel in a carbed motor when it's cold, you should not have to mess with this feature on your motor. If you are needing to use this to keep the motor running you need to have it looked at.

If you want to hot rod it, perhaps look at moving the throttle to a hot foot type of throttle. I would be very hesitant to go with the hot foot, I had one on a bass boat for a while and it requires constant attention while underway, which can be very difficult in a bouncing 60 MPH boat.

Last edited: