changing colors of vinyl

knarrman

Cadet
you have all helped me in the past....and yet I beckon once more....would like to change to color of my vinyl trim from a maroon type color to blue/gray/white...is it possible...where do a start...your info is appreciated

alden135

Lieutenant Commander
Re: changing colors of vinyl

Hey Knarrman, I just changed my vinyl seats, dash and bulkhead cover from a god awful blue to a nice tan color using the Plasticote Vinyl Color spray. It's available at most auto parts stores and approved for marine use. You should repair any tears with a vinyl repair kit beforehand.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Like alden135 said, it works. Be sure to clean the vinyl completely of all wax, softeners, preservers, etc. <br /><br />I have used vinyl dye in auto interiors to match salvage yard parts to the reciepent vehicle. I was impressed that a door arm rest never wore through the color change. This stuff is often called a dye, but for the most part it is a paint that is flexable and tough.<br /><br />It is possable to go from dark to light, it just takes more product. There comes a point at which it is cheaper to buy new than change colors. The lounge seats in my boat were only a year or so old when I bought it. They were beige, they are now white. I used the SEM Marine vinyl dye. Took 3 cans to do each lounge seat. So far so good. My neighbor saw the boat when it was done and commented "you even bought new seats!"<br /><br />This site has good prices on SEM vinyl "dye". Store

Realgun

Commander

Ok here you go guys<br /><br />
mvc-008f.jpg
<br /><br />Keyboard was a microsoft White keyboard.<br />Usining it hard for 3 years now and the Vinyl dye is still holding up. Especially where you rub the wrist rest. So it should be fine on a boat as in wear but not sure about U.V. resistance.<br /><br />And yes the part that looks like a grill is an F-150 heater core. solid copper for heat transfer.<br /><br />I am thinking of spraying the dash in my boat the same grey color as its not black and does look good. (Shhh was saving it as another post. ;) )<br /><br /><br /> HERE you can see the 19 inch white monitor I painted and the parts of my system. :)

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

hey knarrman, i know that your seats are very well waxed with 3m vynl restorer. about 3times last year, any more questions yell over the cubical.