Changing because of gas prices?

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Changing because of gas prices?

I'm not changing anything yet.... If it gets close to $5/gallon I may do some thinking.

We traded our Lexus (26 mpg) for a new 412 horse Mustang (20 mpg)... I'm not too concerned just yet. My wife and I both work hard and the boat (and the Mustang) is our rewards for putting the long hours in. And lifes too short to not enjoy them....

Then stay on your side of the border. Litres to US gallons puts it at $4.88 today. 5 bucks isn't far away.

sasto

Captain

I speculate..within a month the price of oil..will come down.......dramatically (sp). :)

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 14 ft. Mirrocraft with a 30 horse Evinrude so gas for the boat isn't much of an issue where I fish here in the states. The two lakes I fish here in New Mexico are respectively about fifty miles from home and eighty to a hundred miles, depending on where I decide to launch. Still, I think I can manage that OK without a major change in my fishing habits. My truck is a '97 F-150 with a V6 and gas mileage is pretty good.

I own a house at Lake Novillo in the Mexican state of Sonora, almost five hundred miles from here and that's really my favorite fishing site. I usually only make one or two trips a year there but I had decided to try to make a lot more trips to Novillo this year. That dream may not come true for now.

Gas in Mexico is as high or higher than it is here in the States. So, aside from the fact that the trip is costly in terms of vehicle gas, Mexican Insurance, etc., Lake Novillo is a big lake and most days I'll go through twice the gas I use on either of the local lakes here.

For various reasons I need to be here in Las Cruces at least two weeks of most months so staying there for longer than a week or ten days at a time isn't an option.

I've already made two trips this year and have another one planned for early May and that will probably be all of my Mexico trips until sometime in December of this year or January of next year. If gas prices stay up I expect that it will be back to the one or two trips a year. Bummer.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wife's vehicle (the Expedition / tow vehicle) has a 5.4. Both of my cars have 5.0 H.O. The boat has a 5.8. Sold the CBR1000rr last year, so the only thing we own that gets decent mileage is the bicycles. But, Lovely Wife is a homemeaker, and we homeschool the kids, so she only makes the necessary trips anyway. I burn a bit of fuel here, but you the taxpayer foot the bill for that, so I guess I won't cut back much. The 8.1 in my armored Suburban can get thirsty! Like I said in one of hte other threads about this same issue, and others have posted...it's not gonna' change my plans for summer, or the immediate future one bit. I refuse to let speculators rob me and the family of our fun, so they can pad their already thick wallets. Gonna' gas up the Expy, hook up the 31' TT, and make a 600 mile trip to Raleigh for a 4 day family reunion, then come back, repack, and tow it to a nearby state park for a week. Set up the TT, grab the boat, and run the **** out of it for that entire week! I don't see us trading any of our vehicles anytime soon, or making any significant fuel related changes at all.

D

DJ

We'll watch.

For what it takes $$$ to fill the 266 BRR Crownline (7.4L BIII) we can store it for dang near a year-covered. It's winterized, covered and will be fine.

If we want to "splash it" it's a phone call away. Ready to go, in about an hour.

I think it will sit this year. Nobody wants to Pony Up the $$$ to fill it.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

We'll watch.

For what it takes $$$ to fill the 266 BRR Crownline (7.4L BIII) we can store it for dang near a year-covered. It's winterized, covered and will be fine.

If we want to "splash it" it's a phone call away. Ready to go, in about an hour.

I think it will sit this year. Nobody wants to Pony Up the $$$ to fill it.

That's sad. :sad: Score one boater's fun killed to the fat cats. :mad:

mxfever

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe I won't be so nice about taking everyone out for a good time. I saw a saying on here once and I will probably use it this year.

"My boat doesn't run on thanks"

robert graham

Admiral

We're still hauling the boat 500 miles to Florida in 2 weeks...it used to burn $100 one-way, this time it'll be more like $150...so what else am I going to spend the money on?...it's worth it to me!

bigdee

Commander

Will spend same amount of time on lake but less WOT........skiers need not ask unless they offer to contribute, sorry but inflation offsets my fixed retirement income.

TestEngr

Seaman Apprentice

I plan on picking up some extra overtime at work this summer to offset the fuel costs, so I'm not too worried. We have a busy work schedule shaping up so it shouldn't be a problem getting in an extra 10 or 15 hours every week. Of course, it'll cost me some extra sleep. That's a pretty good trade off, isn't it? Sleep for gas?

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

I drive quite a bit to work, I've had a TDi VW for a couple years now, it's getting about 40-45 mpg but even that doesn't make it hurt any less with diesel over $4

Even my little kicker tank is getting expensive to fill for a day out.