Changed prop = extra slip/virtually no bite

Jeff Salinas

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
23
Hello everyone,

I previously had a 9 x 9 prop on a 15HP Merc on a 11' tunnel inflatable. I felt the prop did have some good bite and my max speed(via GPS) was 21.9 mph. I then felt I wanted to go with another prop mith more pitch. I purchased a Quicksilver Mercury 9 x 10.5. On the same boat, it would rev out alot right from the start. It took a long time for it to finally catch. My top speed dramatically reduced, which I thought was normal because this time the boat was carrying myself and my dive buddy. We were only freediving, so no tanks and extra ballast.

Last weekend I acquired another boat; 13' 3" Tunnel Inflatable(DUX Inflatables). I mounted the same motor and new prop;9 x 10.5. Last night I took it out for a test ride in the bay. It would not go past 5mph without trying to over rev the motor. As soon as I would throttle up the motor, it would just rev up and I would get absolutely no bite. My trim is set to zero. Here is a picture of how it is set up;

centerline.jpg


Any thoughts? Now I'm thinking or hoping that the new prop is defective and I'm just turning the hub thru the prop. I won't know till I mark the prop and rerun. but first I'm going to remount the original prop; 9 x 9 and see if I can at least go past 5mph and get somewhat of a bite past half throttle. I'm then going to put back the 9 x 10.5 prop, but this time mark it to see if there is any slipping thru the hub. I'm going to run these test this afternoon after work. And I just want to know anyones thoughts on this matter, as I'm getting really anxious this morning and can't wait to run my test. I will report back with my findings.

Thank you,

Jeff
 

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Feb 9, 2004
Messages
332
Re: Changed prop = extra slip/virtually no bite

small motor props dont have much if any cup and are very sensitive to motor height. I raised my 6 hp motor an inch and lost all bite. The 9 pitch probably has some cup to it. Also small boats are very sensitive to weight and loading. If you cant lower the motor you will need to try and find a prop with some more cup or have some added.
 

Jeff Salinas

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
23
Re: Changed prop = extra slip/virtually no bite

a cupped prop will make a world of a difference? So likely the new prop; quicksilver 9 x 10.5 is good. The edges are smooth and there are no cupping. do you think cupping is something I can do myself or have a shop do it?

Thanks,

Jeff
 

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Feb 9, 2004
Messages
332
Re: Changed prop = extra slip/virtually no bite

Ive done it myself but dont recommend it, way to easy to ruin a prop or do it wrong. A shop can do it for not a lot of money.
 

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Messages
3,447
Re: Changed prop = extra slip/virtually no bite

Jeff ...... I race these inflatables, and I can tell you that it is not your prop .... it is your motor setting ..... also ... the motor will cavitate on pull-a-way .... that is how these are designed as they are race boats for top end, not ski boats ....
 

Jeff Salinas

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
23
Re: Changed prop = extra slip/virtually no bite

deejaycee_2000,

Your absolutely right, it is not my prop. Last night I put in another prop and I got the same results. which is nothing but just reving the motor out. MY DUX inflatable claims it is designed for a 15" shaft, which is what I have. My motor setting was set all the way to zero. anything higher it just gets worse. After taking a closer look of what goes on with the outboard when I try to gain speed the outboard raises up a bit and I can clearly see that the cavitation plate is right up the surface of the water resulting in zero bite. My question is does DUX have it wrong with saying a 15" shaft is used to power these boats. Now the motor I'm using is a 15 HP Merc 15" shaft. I don't plan on racing these and I know the capability of this boat. I rode in a buddies with a 40HP tohatsu. and it screams. But what I want to do is just dive off of it. Get to my local kelp bed and be on my way. But I can't even get past 5mph without trying to rev the hell out of the motor. What do you suggest can be done to fix my problem;

.Will cupping a prop work? which is suppose to fix high transom mount motors.

.A Jack Plate?

.get a 20" shaft motor?

.Cut the transom down?

I don't know, I would really appreciate your advice and feedback on this motor.

BTW. here are some pics of the rear of the boat with my 15" shaft. DUX says to put a string in the center of the high jackers and that the prop nut should fall into +/- 1" above or below the string. I think I fall into that spec.

IMGP4142_exposure.jpg


IMGP4141.jpg
 
Top