Changed fluids myself for first time - am I okay?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Changed fluids myself for first time - am I okay?

I'm surprised there is no fitting, I've had an 87, 2 88's and now 2 89's and they all had it but maybe they stopped it in the 90's. It sounds like you are OK with the lower unit lube but just give it another check before you launch and top it up if needed. You should pick yourself up one of the lower unit lube pumps that screws into the hole, it really will force the lube up into the drive right out the dipstick hole, they are fairly cheap and a lot less messy.....good luck!

medic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

greg, i apologize for using your posting. reading this helped me out. thanks.<br /><br />boatist,<br /><br />although greg can't use the instructions, i appreciate them. i have a 82 omc 2.5 liter with omc sterndrive and everything you stated sounds exactly like mine. one question though. about the tilt clutch. you said to put in 30 weight. not real sure which place this is located but the local marina showed me four places for checking/replacing lube and told me to put gear lube (hi-vis) in those places. of course, using motor oil for the engine. is that right or should i be putting 30 weight where you mentioned in the tilt clutch? i am new to the boating thing. <br /><br />also, i now know why lube is put in from bottom with top plug out...to release air bubbles. but can i simply take out the top plug to check lube level?<br /><br />with the engine year and size mentioned above, does this sound like a 400 stringer or what? unit is white and the engine does have the connection/fitting near the oil dip stick. i was wondering what that was for. <br /><br />medic

JimmyTheGreek

Recruit

I just changed the oil in both a 135HP mercruiser and also in by 1993 4.3 OMC using an electric oil pump with dip stick tube. The mercruiser dipstick tube allows the pumps siphon tube to go straight into the oil pan and emptied the oil very quick. The OMC dipstick tube goes to the side of the oil pan with a last minute 90 degree bend and does not allow the siphon tube to enter the pan. My 1993 does have a thread on fitting (not sure if it is garden hose size or not) But since I did not have a thread on fitting I but the siphon tube into the dip stick tube down as far as it would go and then wrapped electrical tap around the dip stick and siphon tube to form a good seal. This allow enough sucking action to get the remaining oil out.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Greg, I had the same problem like you had with my 86 3.0 Cobra 140 hp engine. I tried sucking by putting the hose down the dip stick tube and had the same results...just a quart or two. I cannot believe that you do not have a garden hose connection!!! It is a brass colored cap with a little ball-type chain on it. It should be located not far from your dipstick. Unscrew the cap. You need to purchase the male garden hose connection and attach it to your manual oil pump and then screw the thing in (make sure it is an air tight connection!!!...or else there isn't enough suction happenning!<br /><br />I know you keep saying you don't have this connection, but I feel if you don't someone has removed it!....for what purpose someone would have done this?????hhhmmmm...<br /><br />As far as the drive goes, when filling it up start at the midway hole, when it fills up, close it and go to the top dip stick hole and fill from there. Check again the next day and add if necessary up to the mark on the mini dip stick. DO NOT OVERFILL! 2 quarts should go in.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

...sorry above should read buy the female connection.

LubeDude

Admiral

Have to address the synthetic oil issue! Its not that the oils do not have the right aditive package for the gaskets and seals, its that the synthetic oils find the leaks better as it gets into tighter places, There is a name for it but I cant think of it now! You already had the bad gasket or bad seal, just didnt know it yet! you will eventually have a leak there with your regular oil! There are some really good synthetics out there, and they will protect your engine all season better than regular oils!!<br /><br />See my home page for information!!<br /><br />LubeDude

rogerwa

Commander

I have a 3.0l engine and I have not problems getting most of the 4 Qts out. I use a drill pump which is a lot easier than the manual pump..<br /><br />One suggestion. Maybe your are sticking tube too far down the dipstick tube and it is curling upwards instead of going deeper. When I put mine down the hole I don't force it at the end just for that reason..

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are sucking air and there's oil in the pan, then you either have a leak on the vacuum side of your system or, and almost for sure, the tube is not in the oil. Depending on the dip stick tube, the plasic suction tube will be directed into oil more or less. The plastic tubes used in the suction devices are extruded and coiled warm so they take a set in a curved manner. The better oil change systems for dip stick use will have a wire in the center of the plastic tube to help prevent it from curling as it goes through the dip stick tube and into the oil pan. My guess is the combination of the approach angle the dip stick tube puts on the plastic tube plus the natural curve of the plastic tube puts the tip of the plastic tube up from the bottom of the pan about the depth of 2 quarts of oil. If your drain system didn't come with the wire, get a pretty stiff wire about 0.040 to 0.060" in diameter and put in down the entire length of the plastic tube.<br /><br />As for your lower unit oil, I haven't had an outdrive in many years, but the basic laws of physics haven't changed. It use to be remove both plugs, drain the oil, put the hi-vis 16 oz. tube (one or more tubes to fill it) in the bottom hole, squeeze the tube until the oil comes out the top hole, and while keeping pressure on the hi-vis tube, quickly put the top plug in followed by the bottom plug. I know nothing about your outdrive, but I sounds like you need to fill past the upper plug. I would drain it, put the upper plug in, remove the dip stick, push the gear oil in the bottom hole, keep pressure on the tube or what ever the oil filler is, check the level on the dip stick, keep filling until its right, and then replace the bottom plug. As you well know, air rises. <br /><br />The suggestions others have given you about turning the gears a little in case any air is trapped and then rechecking seems sound to me given the oil went in the top and might have trapped an air bubble. When you fill from the bottom, you can't trap air unless you fill extremely fast like a fire hose. <br /><br />Good for you for changing your own oil!