Changed fluids myself for first time - am I okay?

I've been changing the oil in my own vehicles since I was 16 but have always taken my boat to someone else to have the oil and lower unit oil changed. Problem is the guy always tells me I'll have it back in a week and it's more like 3 and it comes back looking like it spent the month under a tree in hurricane conditions. So I decided to do it myself. I bought a hand pump to remove the old oil. The capacity is 4 quarts including the filter which I also changed. Well I pumped and pumped, and adjusted, and pumped, etc., etc. for over an hour and was never able to get more than a quart and a half out of there. I made sure the block was level but the pumped sounded dry regardless of how shallow or deep I moved the dipstick tube. Sure enough, after giving up and replacing the filter and going to refill the oil, and after running the engine a bit to get it going throught the new filter, I was only able to get back in about a quart and a half to two quarts of new oil before the dipstick said it was full again. What did I do wrong or what can I do to get more old oil out?<br /><br />Now to the lower unit change. I have a drain hole at the bottom, a fill hole in the middle and a dipstick check at the top. Instructions were to drain it and replace the bottom plug. Then fill it with 2 quarts of lube in the middle fill hole and check it using the dipstick at the top. I couldn't imagine how gravity was going to allow me to do that but I tried. Needless to say I got about 1 quart in the fill hole before it started coming back at me. I finally used some deductive logic and decided to plug the fill hole and put the second quart in where the dipstick is at the top assuming things would work themselves out inside there. I put exactly 2 quarts in and my dipstick now seems to reflect that the level is perfect. But are they? Any thoughts? I have run the engine but not the outdrive yet since doing this.

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Changed fluids myself for first time - am I okay?

Main engine oil:<br /><br />After getting out what you could what was the dipstick reading??<br /><br />Is there a drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan??<br /><br />Lower unit:<br /><br />They make a hand pump that you use to pump the oil in.It threads into the hole you where trying to pour it in when it started coming back out at you.<br />That is how it works against gravity.<br />You pull the top plug to prevent air from building up in the lower unit as you pump it in.<br /><br />If you filled it from the top you should be o.k. as long as the dipstick is reading good.<br />After you start it and run it through the gears check the level again.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you tried to change the motor oil with a cold engine. You have to warm up the engine on the flush muffs to get the oil hot enough to pump it out. I used a hand pump on my OMC 4.3 Cobra and was able to get just about all of it out. I think you may have to do it again to get more of the old oil out. For the outdrive, it depends on what type you have. OMC Cobras are drained from the bottom hole on the lower unit and filled from the one that is just a bit higher up on the same side. You need to use the pump, pump slowly, and keep checking the level with the dipstick in the top plug. Mercs I think are filled from the bottom plug. See if you can get a manual for your engine/outdrive to be sure.<br />With the OMC Cobras, not filling it right will result in an air bubble migrating to the top and you will burn out the upper gears really fast.

Thanks for the responses. On the oil, I did warm the engine good before trying to pump it out. I wasn't hitting cold oil, I was hitting no oil - the pump was pumping air. I could hear the tube I was feeding down the dipstick tube hitting against the pan as if nothing was in there. I have about 48" of tube and had probably 3 feet of it in there at one point.<br /><br />On the lower unit - I have my owner's manual. It describes draining through the bottom hole which I did. It then describes refilling through the hole on the same side of the unit about 10-12 inches above the drain hole - I did that and basically got a whole quart in there. When I began putting in the second quart, It just started running back out the hole. The manual said nothing about using any kind of pump. However it didn't say anything about putting oil through the dipstick hole on the top either. But the manual says the capacity is 2 quarts and that's what it held and the level shows full on the dipstick. Can i still burn something out by doing it this way? I still can't see how using a pump in the fill hole will keep it from coming back out just because of the law of gravity.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

What outdrive?? If it's an OMC Cobra they take about 2 qts except for the King Cobra that takes more. So it sounds like you got enough in it. Main thing is that you want any air bubble to go to the top. Let it sit overnight, check it again. Next time you fire up the engine, try to crank it a few times w/o starting it. Check the level again. The upper gears turn whenever the engine is turning, doesn't have to be in gear. When the engine crankshaft spins, the U-joints spin the upper gears.<br />About the oil, maybe the pump lost its prime--electric pump or manual?? At first I tried using an electric one--didn't pump much out, then I realized I didn't prime it. I tried a manual pump and it was a little slow but I got most of it out. There had to be oil in there because you only got 1 1/2 qt back in.

Lou thanks for the engine crank tip. I didn't realize any part of the outdrive was engaged while out of gear except for the water pump so that will be helpful. It's not a King Cobra - I believe it is a 400. And the capacities section of the manual definitely says 2 quarts.<br /><br />As for the oil... I know I didn't get all the oil out, the problem is I don't know how to get anymore out than I did. I tried several times and got oil flowing slowly several times and then after a little bit it would go dry again. It wasn't hitting any fluid at times. I'd compare it to sucking a straw in a slurpee when it gets close to the bottom. Do you know what I mean? I mean you can tell when your pulling nothing but air. It's a hand pump that I'm using and I bought it at Boater's World and the guy told me it was the best manual pump they had and was better than the cheap electric ones.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Greg<br />I do not know how anyone can help you unless you tell us what type engine you have. Is it a Merc, OMC Cobra, Vovo, OMC Sringer. What HP is it. What year. What color is the outdrive. My wild ass guess is you have either a 120hp or a 140 hp OMC series 400 stringer. Outdrive would be White or silver and would have a big rubber seal around intermediate housing. If that is what you have then I can help, Read below. If not stop here.<br /><br />To remove oil from engine find the garden hose fitting around or near the oil dip stick on starboard side of engine. The 140 has the dip stick in it the 120 is right next to the dip stick. attach a hose with standard garden hose fitting then run hose to your pump and pump it out. Takes 3.5 qt without filter or 4 QT of 30 weight oil with filter. Fill from the rubber stopper in top of valve cover.<br /><br />Lower unit, drain oil from plug just below the prop shaft on starboard side also remove level plug just above the cavitation plate on starboard side of outdrive to let oil drain. Fill with OMC HI-VIS gearcase lube from the drain hole. It takes 33.8 oz. Keep pumping until oil run out the level plug. Put the Level plug in tight then remove pump and install drain plug.<br /><br />Upper gear case, remove drain plug on outdrive just below ball gears on starboard side of outdrive. also remove dip stick on top of outdrive. Fill from drain hole with 16.6oz of OMC HIS-VIS gearcase lube. I leave the dip stick in the hole but loose and fill until dip stick pushes up. Then put in dip stick tight and remove pump and install drain plug. Then remove dip stick and check level. adjust level from dip stick hole.<br /><br />Intermediate Housing, Drain oil from drain plug on starboard side of intermediate housing just below the ball gears. also remove fill level plug from intermediate housing just above the outdrive to port side of center. Fill with OMC HI-VIS lube from drain hole or fill hole. Takes 6.25oz. <br /><br />Tilt clutch, drain from drain hole in bottom of tilt clutch. Also remove fill plug from port side of tilt clutch. Tilt clutch in on port side of outdrive but attached to intermediate housing. Fill with 30 weight or 10-30 weight engine oil from the drain hole until run out fill plug. Put in fill plug then remove pump and install drain plug. Check level from fill plug.<br /><br />Also have 9 zert grease fittings that need lubbed with OMC Triple guard grease.<br /><br />Hope this helps and is for your motor.

Sorry. It is a 91 Cobra outdrive with a 4 cyl. OMC 3.0 litre. 130 or 135 horse I believe. The outdrive is dark grey. There is no garden hose fitting and if the oil pan has a drain plug (i imagine it does) I can't see it so it's probably hard to get to. As for the outdrive it has the dipstick on the top, a drain hole at the very botton on the starboard side and a fill hole above it on the same side. My owner's manual says to drain the oil through the dipstick with a pump and the outdrive fluid is supposed to be refilled through the fill hole which is where I managed to get 1 quart (half of capacity) in before it started coming back out of the hole. I got the other quart in through the dipstick hole and the level shows the correct amount on the dipstick. Seems logical to me that it would be okay as the oil has to get up to that dipstick somehow. I did all of this about a week ago and have not run the engine since filling the outdrive. I want to make sure I'm not going to grind something to pieces before I start up again. Someone said I should crank it up or at least turn it over a few times and then check the levels again to be sure and then run it a while and check it again. Then if all looks okay, I'm good to go. What do you think?

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if it's a '91 than it's not a 400. crank it over a couple times then check the oil again. u should be ok. i wouldn't worry about the engine oil, if u change the filter u should be ok there also.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

iBoats has a Jabsco Permanent Oil Drain hose that I was looking at. Maybe this would work for you?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Greg<br />Totaly disregard my post as it was for a Series 400 stringer and nothing applies to your motor. I am sure many can help with the cobra.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are planning on keeping the boat you should do what I did.I purchased an drain pump and installed it in my engine compartment.It is called "quick drain" and cost about $89.It takes me less than 10 minutes to do an oil change completely!!The pump mounts to anywhere you can find room in your engine compartment.It is powered by the boat battery.You have to remove your oil pan plug which will be the toughest part of the install.Squirm around the motor and see if you can reach the plug,you should be able to.The kit comes with a fitting the replaces the drain plug.The fitting is attached to a hose that runs to the suction side of the pump.There is a discharge hose opposite the suction side and you just put the end of the discharge hose in a large container,press a button on the pump,and wait a few minutes until the container has all of your old oil in it.It actually takes more time to put the new oil in than take the old oil out.It is the best investment I ever made for my boat.I actually change my oil too often now because it is so easy.I remember pumping the manual pump with the sweat dripping off my head and the oil on my hands and my arms getting tired and switching hands and how my arms were sore the next day.Not anymore!!!!!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I've had very good luck using a Topsider pump. The oil has to be warm, but not hot enough to melt the plastic tubing. Oil can be removed through the dipstick, but my old Chris Craft 305 has an oil removal tube -- might be that the removal tube provides access to the lowest part of the engine (maybe even the filter?), as I was able to pump out almost 6 quarts last weekend when I did the job. I didn't change the filter this time.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oldboat1,bad move with not changing your filter.The old oil in the filter will contaminate the new.You dont change the oil in a marine engine just because it is dirty.You change it because it is dirty and contaminated with acids that accumulate inside the engine.Im sure what you did was better than not changing it at all,but you should always change the filter.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

True enough, cc. My point here, though, was that the Topsider apparently drew out essentially all of the oil contained in the engine, including the filter -- based on the volume extracted. It seems to do a heck of a job with minimal fuss.<br /><br />On the filter change -- I'm thinking of changing to synthetic oil (probably Mobil 1 )after getting some of the other bugs out of the engine this spring, so wanted to use up my reserve of oil from last year. I'll be changing the filter when I switch oils. I've had real good luck with a synthetic in a fairly high mileage Ford I wanted to quiet down a little, so think I'll try it in the boat.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

O.B.1,Be very careful when switching over to synthetic.I have done it in 2 of my vehicles.It worked very well for cold weather starts in one vehicle.In my jeep,it caused a few oil leaks so I stopped using it after the first change.I have heard the same complaint from more than a few people.It seems that the synthetic does not have the same qualities that keep the seals and gaskets conditioned.I was tempted to try it in my boat as well but I did not want to take a chance on oil leaks.Be Careful and keep a close eye on things if you decide to give it a try. CC

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure if this will work for you, but on my boat there is room to get to the drain plug on the engine. I place funnel with a hose (auto transmission funnel $3) and run the hose out the transom drain hole and into a bucket

I used a hose and a funnel as someone before mentioned to remove oil from the crankcase. I just don't feel comfortable with the pumps through the dipstick. I guess they are fine, but I like to get all the oil bottoms out.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Greg...if you have a Cobra, it should have a fitting at the top of the dipstick that allows you to aatach a garden hose fitting to. I just have a hand pump but screw it on to the fitting, then you are using the dipstick tube as a straw which is a lot bigger than the inside diameter of the plastic tube you are putting down there so the oil comes up much quicker as long as there is a good seal for the vacumn to work. For the lower unit never fill from the dipstick, always fill from the bottom or middle to prevent air bubbles (those will kill your upper gears)

Bob it is definitely a Cobra but there is not screw on fitting.<br /><br />As for the drive unit fluid, I got as much in the middle hole as I could without it coming out. I've seen the little pumps and I don't see how it would have made a difference with keeping gravity from sucking it back out that hole once the fluid level went above it. I put the other quart in the top hole and then checked the level and it was perfect. I got in there what my manual says is the capacity. Should I drain it and start over with a pump or should I be okay to run it briefly and check the level again? Seems if I run it and then open the top hole, any air would work itself out.