Change Out The Impeller Or Not?

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer
Engine is a 2006 Yamaha F90. Earlier this year I changed out the water pump impeller as part of routine maintenance. Last week we were leaving the marina at idle, cleared the pilings, and then brought it up on a plane. After what was less than one minute the high temperature alarm went off. I instinctively looked back and saw that there was no telltale stream and immediately shut it down.

Then (here's the good part), I said to my buddy, "We might have picked up a piece of plastic or something in the marina." So I trimmed up the engine and.....there was a piece of plastic on the lower unit. :facepalm:

Pulled off the sheet of plastic, lowered the engine, cranked right up and the telltale stream came back on. The stream "looks" about right, but I don't like the idea that the water pump might have run dry for a while - which is not good for impellers. I take this boat out past the jetties from time to time so I'm thinking that the safe thing to do is to drop in a new impeller. Comments appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Change Out The Impeller Or Not?

I would drop the lower unit and inspect the impeller and the housing for any signs of damage, if non found then just put back together