Century Coronado - Cardel conversion?

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Century Coronado - Cardel conversion?

Straight inboard Coronado entertainment center, came on Arabians as well!
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF1743.jpg
    DSCF1743.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 2

Mino Erhan

Cadet

Beautiful !!
My bar is not that nice. But its all in the spirit!! :)

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Although I've been around classic wooden boats for many years, I'm a relative "newbie" to Centurys. We want an efficient classic-look glass boat for use on Lake Arrowhead, CA, one that my wife, daughters and their girlfriends won't have to worry about "boat hair" when we go out for dinner or for the evening.
Any help, advice or boat leads would be most appreciated.
Hey Bill, since you have a background around classic woodies, how about a 1953 27ft Shepherd Express. You won't have any problems with the ladies keeping their hair, and evening dresses in tip top condition in this beauty.
pb460-1.jpg

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Bill, since you have a background around classic woodies, how about a 1953 27ft Shepherd Express. You won't have any problems with the ladies keeping their hair, and evening dresses in tip top condition in this beauty.
pb460-1.jpg

Hard top would be better
attachment.php

Attachments

• TC.jpg
    TC.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 0

skibumpmc

Cadet

Mino,

FYI, my Cardel also came with a second bimini top, which is not a factory top...I assume someone just had it made at some point in time. The second top I have is the typical bimini top that you see on most boats today that you can walk underneath without crouching. I think I installed the second taller top on my boat, one time, but soon removed it and opted to use the factory top. From my recollection, I believe the taller top fits into the same bracket as the other factory bimini, but it does not snap to the windshield.

While I agree with the height concern, if you want any semblance of the factory look you will loose that look the higher you go. Beyond that, if you actually want enough height to walk under the bimini without crouching, the top would need to be fairly high and if you plan on snapping it to the windshield I think that will look sort of odd.

Personally, I like the lower factory top, because it does mimmic the lines of the factory hardtop. Also, being in the midwest, that factory top keeps you pretty toasty during those early spring, late fall or cool summer evening cruises. No one who's ever been on boat has had an issue with a little crouching and most people always comment that they feel like they are driving in a car on the water...They all think it's cool, because it is so unlike any other boat they have been on.

That said, if you want the factory look, just go with the original spec. If you just want a bimini to keep occupants out of the sun and don't want to crouch, just go with a standard bimini. Or, ideally, have two tops made.

BTW, the aft cover attaches to the factory bimini by means of some sort of snap that twists into place...It is not your standard snap, as those would probably not hold and would pull loose at higher speeds. I used the aft cover once when I got caught in a rainstorm, but it would probably be useless for any other application.

skibumpmc

Cadet

BTW...

Here is the factory bimini top on a Coronado Cardel...

Factory Bimini Top Cardel.jpg

Here is the factory sliding soft-top on a Coronado Cardel...

Sliding Soft Top Cardel.jpg

***Note the windshield sides are different than the standard windshield with this option.

That said, someone was asking about finding one of these sliding soft-tops and my guess is this would be nearly impossible to find. Considering the rarity of Cardels (probably only a couple of hundred ever made) combined with the fact that there were probably very few ever ordered with this sliding soft-top option, finding one of these tops would be akin to finding a needle in a haystack.

I know the sliding soft-top was an option on the Cardel, but I am not sure if it was ever offered as an option on the Coronado.

Beyond that, noting the windshield difference, you can always tell when you see a "neutered" Coronado or Cardel that had the Factory Hardtop or Soft-top removed by looking at the windshield sides.

A lot of people simply removed these hardtops and soft-tops, so they probably wound up in the bone yard or are sitting in some barn M.I.A.

Here is an example...

Cardel - sans the sliding top.jpg

Mino Erhan

Cadet

Hi Skibumpmc
Thank you for the very detailed information. Nice to finally see a page from the factory brochure. Thank you.
I agree, the factory top shows the lines of the boat really well and adds yet more style. The boat in the picture is gorgeous. Beautiful color combo.
I also have been thinking about having two tops.
But first I have to see how it runs and see what else it needs. Once I get it into the water, I will know more about my top situation.
My understanding is that she has been sleeping covered in an Aircraft Hangar for the last 6 years a least. Engine is winterized with very low hours.
But there is going to be lots to go over yet...
Will report on progress.
Happy Holidays to all and thank you!

Bill Patton

Cadet

I'm looking for a 1981-85 Century Cardel without a top. Prefer a good solid boat, but willing to take on a minor restoration project. Any leads most appreciated.

I started this "Cardel Conversion" discussion and I've been searching for the proverbial needle in a hay stack Cardel sliding top ever since. Ever the optimist, I must agree they are either in the bone yard, in a barn somewhere or do not exist. I plan on borrowing a friend's Cardel with a sliding top and duplicate the top. I'll report my luck or failure in this regard. I will duplicate the top before acquiring a Cardel. Bill Patton billpatton@aol.com 949-474-2000, ext. 222 (work). Merry Christmas to all!

Bill Patton

Cadet

Hello Skibumpmc:

I'm confused. I thought the hulls and windshields were the same on Coronados and Cardels. So, my current goal is to copy a friend's Cardel sliding top and install it on an open Cardel or Coronado to be purchased in the future. But, then I noted in you post that the windshields are different? Could you elaborate? Thanks, Bill Patton

skibumpmc

Cadet

Hello Skibumpmc:

I'm confused. I thought the hulls and windshields were the same on Coronados and Cardels. So, my current goal is to copy a friend's Cardel sliding top and install it on an open Cardel or Coronado to be purchased in the future. But, then I noted in you post that the windshields are different? Could you elaborate? Thanks, Bill Patton

Bill,

First off...The Coronado and the Cardel are the exact same hull.

Secondly...The windshield is also essentially the same on Coronado's and Cardel's. In fact, the windshields on the "Heritage Series" (Coronado, Cardel, Arabian, Sabre & Resorter) from the 60's, 70's, 80's & 90's are essentially all the same; there may be size differences with some models, like the Resorter 16/17 and a few other models, but they all appear to be the same.

So, while the "front" part of the windshield is essentially the same on the Heritage Series, the are differences in the "side wings" or "return" on the sides of the windshield on various models. For example, some Arabians (late 70's & 80's) have very long "returns" or "side wing" windows that go almost to the rear bench seat while the early 1970's do not.

On Coronado's with Hardtops and Cardel's with Sliding Soft-Tops, Century deleted part of the "return" or "side wings" on these models. The reason, was most likely for docking, as it would be hard to pull up to a dock and grab a pier with a Hardtop or Soft-top (in the closed position). The Hardtop Coronado's also had sliding side windows, so the driver could open the window for ventilation and also for ease of docking.

Click here & see my notes...

Cardel Windshield.JPG

Again, to my knowledge, I believe the Sliding soft-top was only offered as an option on the Cardel and probably only for a few years in the 1980's. The Hardtop was still offered on the Coronado's in the 1980's, but the popularity of this option was waning, as most people preferred "open-air" boating. Subsequently, many people removed the Hardtops from their Coronados and you can always tell one of those "neutered" boats by the lack of the "side-wing" windows on them. (Look back at the earlier of a "neutered" Cardel that probably had a sliding soft-top, attached in a previous post)

My advice...Why buy the top before you have the boat? Since you have a friend who apparently has a Cardel with the sliding soft-top, you can always use that as a template and any canvas shop should be able to fabricate one. That said, if you are looking for a Cardel, my advice to you is find/buy the boat first, because these models are "very rare" and hard to find... FYI, I started looking for Cardel's in 2000 and I usually only saw 2 or 3 ever available, per year (Bought mine in 2005). Beyond that, my Cardel was the "20th" boat made in 1986, so one of the last made in Manistee in December of 1986. Production numbers are unknown, but using 1986 as an example, that means that there may have only been 100 to 150 Cardels, ever produced....Finding one with the sliding soft-top will truly be a arduous endeavor.

That said, obviously, you will have an easier time finding a Coronado and adding the soft-top...Whatever you find & buy, you can certainly leave the "side wing" windows intact, but just remember, when you pull up to a dock (especially if you are alone) you will have a difficult time reaching around the side-wing to grab the dock, if the top is in the forward/closed position.

As I mentioned, I started looking for a Cardel in 2000 and it has become a hobby of mine, ever since, so I consider myself an expert on Coronado's & Cardel's. In the past 12 years, I only saw one Cardel for sale with the sliding soft-top and that was maybe 3 to 5 years ago...In all my years of Googling and searching for them, I simply never saw another one.

My only other advice is, ideally, to not buy the I/O version of the Cardel...Buy a V-Drive Cardel or a Direct-Drive Coronado. I'm not bashing the I/O...It's still a beautiful boat, but just not as desirable. The V-Drive and Direct-Drive will get up and go much quicker (even with 8 to 10 people on board). With the I/O, you also lose that nice one-piece swim platform. Beyond that, I also believe that most of the I/O's did not have the transom exhaust and I, personally love the sound of a big-block 454 or 440 with the transom exhaust.

Here is a video of my boat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdOe_XE1Ths

skibumpmc

Cadet

I'm looking for a 1981-85 Century Cardel without a top. Prefer a good solid boat, but willing to take on a minor restoration project. Any leads most appreciated.

BTW Bill...

Cardels were made in Manistee from 1982 thru 1986, not 1981. After 1986, Century was sold and moved production to Florida. I know I have seen 1987 & 1988 Cardels and, possibly, they were made up until 1992, although they might have skipped some years and not made any or very few in certain years.

FYI, the last Coronado rolled off the line in 1998, but by that time, Yamaha may not have made any or very few of them in certain years. Production numbers were always low for Coronados and even much lower for Cardels, due to their high price.

Cost always was a big factor for low production numbers of Century Boats, with MSRP's of the Cardel & Coronado cresting well into the "high twenties" by 1986. God knows what the last Coronado was priced at by 1998...Had to be near or above $50K...Who knows ? ? ?

FYI, there are currently 3 Cardels I know of for sale...

> One is a V-Drive for $9500 (Looks trashed)
> Two are I/O...one for $5500 and one for $12/14, although that guy will never will get that price. The $5500 one has been for sale for over a year and states "half-way through restoration."

Since the downturn in 2008, the supply of "good quality" Coronado's and Cardels seems to be few and far between...I suspect some people are hanging on to them until the market rebounds.

Remember, in the end, the "project boat" may end up costing you quite a bit of time and money; possibly more than just holding out for a nicer one. Just make sure you have an inspection and check the stringers, for sure.

Bottom line, be prepared to wait...Took me 5 years to find mine.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

BTW Bill...

Since the downturn in 2008, the supply of "good quality" Coronado's and Cardels seems to be few and far between...I suspect some people are hanging on to them until the market rebounds.

[/I][/B].

Cardel's are indeed difficult to find but Coronado's pop up all the time if you know where to look. There are 5 for sale here;

http://www.antiqueboat.com/categories/1/classic-glass.aspx

I have a lake house in Syracuse Indiana (Lake Wawasee) and there is usually a couple for sale in the surrounding areas every year.

Bill Patton

Cadet
Wanted 1982-1986 Century Coronado Cardel

Wanted 1982-1986 Century Coronado Cardel

You all have been a great help and I'm beginning to understand the Century story.

Now, let me see if I've got this right. I'm searching for a 1982-1986 Century Cardel with sliding top, or no top ok. Prefer no bar, rather have the seating area. I'm capable of taking on a restoration project (new interior, new gel coat, engine rebuild) but no interest in basket cases or abused boats. Will consider a restored boat if done right. Did I leave anything out of this wish list?

I'll copy my friend's Cardel sliding top as it is a short window of opportunity and I have an excellent fabricator. If I buy a Cardel with a sliding top then someone else may want the spare top, it's a gamble I'm ready to take.

Thanks for your help, advice, photos, etc.

Bill Patton

Mino Erhan

Cadet

Hi Tahorover
Thanks for the ebay link. How ironic to find another one in DFW,TX area. I will try to go check it out. Looks like a re-repaint and nicely done at that at 10ft distance.

Hi Bill
If you look close at the ebay boat, you will see that the original side rail mounting brackets have been removed in favor of the slide top hardware. Looks like somebody did what you are trying to do, retrofit a cardel with the sliding soft top.
This pics make it easy to see how one could do the conversion if chosen to do so.

skibumpmc

Cadet

This boat looks like a “Rube Goldberg” restoration job...I'd be suspect of any paint job where someone did not bother to spend an hour or two of prep to fill those holes in the deck. I'm also wondering why there is rust oozing out of the bolts on the transom, although I’d guess that it’s probably from moisture/rot in the transom, which also means the stringers are probably rotten, as well. The boat is also missing the most of the original trim and emblems, like the beauty stripes, emblems, etc…Good Luck finding any of those items.

Those facts, plus a blown motor do not bode well for this boat…It’s probably a pure project boat and might be worth it for the right price, but not the $8700 “Buy it now” price.

Bill Patton

Cadet

It's a small world. Skibumpmc's descritpion of the white ebay boat now in Texas is exactly right. I beleive it is the same one I looked at in Pomona, CA where it was for sale for quite some time. I heard a fellow from Texas bought it for $3,000. I passed on it because it was was missing so much trim and railing and the paint job was awful. Still a $3,000 project boat for someone with the parts.

Bill Patton

Cadet

I'm down to a couple of choices. I'm looking at two Century Cardels, both 1985, both low hours, one has the sliding roof we want, one doesn't. But, I'm ready to fabricate the sliding roof using a friend's boat as a guide, doesn't appear to be a problem. But, both have the side bar with refrigerator which we do not want or need and we'd reather have the extra seating. I'll restore whatever boat I buy including a new interior, so QUESTION: As long as we will reuphoster the boat, would it be difficult to remove the bar and refrigerator and replace it with seating? I'm guessing it's just a matter of a good carpenter rebuilding the seating area? But, is anything different about the hull or anything else problematic? Thanks for your input. There are a lot of smart people out there and your responses have been great.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm down to a couple of choices. I'm looking at two Century Cardels, both 1985, both low hours, one has the sliding roof we want, one doesn't. But, I'm ready to fabricate the sliding roof using a friend's boat as a guide, doesn't appear to be a problem. But, both have the side bar with refrigerator which we do not want or need and we'd reather have the extra seating. I'll restore whatever boat I buy including a new interior, so QUESTION: As long as we will reuphoster the boat, would it be difficult to remove the bar and refrigerator and replace it with seating? I'm guessing it's just a matter of a good carpenter rebuilding the seating area? But, is anything different about the hull or anything else problematic? Thanks for your input. There are a lot of smart people out there and your responses have been great.

The hulls are all identical.....I don't see any problem with removing the sink/adding seating.

Bill Patton

Cadet

My thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions. I finally found THE right Cardel. It is a 1982 with only 390 Lake Arrohwead hours that has literally been stored in a Southern California residential barn since 1990. It has a factory folding top which I will remove and sell if anyone needs it in favor of the sliding top I am copying from a friend's boat. The blue upholstery is gorgeous, but slightly faded a bit so I will replace it. It's too good to toss, so if anyone wants it, I'll give it away. And, it has a bar that we will remove in favor of additional seating. The bar, refrigerator and sink look like new, no food grunge or use showing at all. The original refrigerator door seal looks like brand new and was removed long ago and stored inside the fridge so it is supple and like new as well. Anyone need a bar for their Cardel. I'll insert a couple of separate postings