center helm vs offset

CAPTAIN TONY

Cadet
Hi there. Posting for the first time but following for a while. I'm going to be replacing all the furniture on my boat soon and was wandering if there was an advantage to having a center helm (what i currently have) or if an offsett would be more useful. Right now you get two kids fishing off each side of helm and its a pain to move around and strech your legs. So is it possible to switch to an offsett or more work than it's worth. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: center helm vs offset

What kind of boat are we talking about here? Pictures would help us help you.

CAPTAIN TONY

Cadet

It's an 88 20' tracker pontoon with 35hp mercury outboard (way too small ). I will post poics once i figure out how.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

lol well I am running a 9.9 talk about small, any way I have owned bouth styles and personaly I like the off side feels like its more open and easer to move around on.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The ofset will give you more room and make the baot more usable and you should be able to just move it against the rail without having to replace any control cables.

You will need to replace that section of deck though to get rid of the hole and unwire the console and move all those wires so it would be a job but doable and I personnaly think it would be worth the effort.

Mark all the wires with a masking tape flag and a Sharpie as to switch and placement, example, nav lights-top left, then you won't have a problem finding the wires home and everything should work when you are done and again if you go straight sideways you shouldn't have to lengthen too many wires.