center console

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: center console

Weren't we discussing 18' CC boats?

The question was about 16-18 foot center consoles. I have no reason to believe that the 17 foot, center console Montauk would behave that much differently than the 15 foot Montauk that I have owned. I only half-way swamped (about 6 inches level of water inside) in the 15 foot before, but nothing bad happened. I could be wrong, but given the similarity of the designs the 17 footer should not submerge the motor if swamped. The only way for me to prove it definitively is to acquire a 17 footer and go out and completely swamp it. I'm getting to old for that stuff now.... :p

mikeroche

Seaman Apprentice

dukesfin said the same kinda thing i said, checkem out, i just deleted 3 paragraphs all i;m going to say is i'm not a salesman ALL BOATS should be looked at i owned a starcraft for 6 years i know what they can do in the northeast..good job philster

Philster

Captain

I am sorry, you continue to be incorrect, outboard motors are designed to continue to run even when the boat is swamped.

And, as I said, it is not like it has happened before. Just because you fail to understand what makes something work, does not mean it is not so. I will stick with what I said.

For someone such as yourself who does not know the difference between swamped and sunken, perhaps a dictionary is in order as well as some real world experience.

Oh, and the boat review, I think we are talking about the sub 20 foot boats, 17 to 19 feet. As to the rest, his has an opinion of that boat, yipeee, not impressed with yet another know it all. There are those who don't like the foam filled boats and those who do.

But on the subject of a poorly designed boat, the one in your avatar meets the billing. No room, built only to go fast, burn gas and make noise. Very little usable space, and to top it all off, it will flood, swamp, capsize and sink. And, even better, yep, the engine will cease operation when it gets water in the hull. In fact, that is one of those stapled together jobs isn't it.

How can you bring a Scarab into a discussion such as this? One has nothing to do with the other. I am not here advertising Scarabs or falling for some ad campaign. My boat is purpose built. I am not pitching it to others! This is how one, such as yourself, demolishes the little credibility they have. Stick to the subject. I own a number of boats, from alum bass fishing to a Fountain CC, but I don't go around advertising them as right for everyone.

The foam filled boats are nice, and have advantages and drawbacks, and you seem to buy into the whole ad campaign. Foam doesn't solve all the safety issues inherent in boating. Does foam keep you from going overboard? Does it prevent hitting a reef? Does it get wet? Can it be found in good designs and bad? Can a hull slam you sill and have foam?

Stop with the ad campaign for Whaler already.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the conversation is pertaining to 16-18' CC's, let me throw in my 2 cents..i restore..play with then sell, two types of boats: Mako and Boston Whaler..i have owned BW 13-17's and Mako 17 - 19 and 24' all older models..late 60's to early and mid 70's...the common thread amongst these 2 types are foam filled hulls, the design and build of these 2 boats are structurally similar in stringer design and hull thickness..the foam is for both buoyancy, and to stop the sides from "oilcanning" while underway. All of my boats have been powered by manufacturer recommended max HP motors, All of my boats are used inshore and offshore,also i am a USCG licensed captain,having delivered boats all over the USA and Caribbean. All that being said, i have found in MANY situations that both the BW and Mako will remain useable even while taking HEAVY seas over the gunnels, you cant sink these craft, nor can you swamp them to the point of disabling them. the foam renders the hull buoyant to the point of self bailing , the controls and motors , properly installed, will not fail, and any decent captain finding himself in heavy weather will take measures to prevent going overboard or losing control of his craft.
Given my present " family" boat,which is made for HEAVY weather, i will pit against any of my Mako's and Boston Whalers.
"Family Boat"
CIMG1151.JPG

Philster

Captain

I am looking for some opinions on what kind of water a 16' to 18' center cosole could handle. I am interested in several hull types like aluminum deep v like a starcraft, fiberglass v hull like a mako, and carolina skiff or boston whaler style "flat front" (not sure what else to call it).
I would like to be able to go into small lakes for general fishing and to the bay for strippers and blues. What I am conserned about is how far out of the bay could these boats go? Thanks in advance, Eric

Well, based on "certain" input so far, you have been led in the direction of this as an answer: ANYTHING. Any water you can throw at it! (as long as it is like a Whaler, you are good to go into anything on the seas.).

Now a discriminating buyer knows that this can't possibly be the case. Let's see here, since a surfboard doesn't sink, does this imply a surfboard should be used a few miles offshore, or in rough seas? Will this make the experience a pleasure? Is this the purpose of such a 'vessel'. No.

Bigger boats.... heavier boats... with deep hulls, tend to be the choice for tougher conditions.

I personally feel that there comes a time when people go beyond advising buyers and go right into selling. What gets lost by the seller is a sense of objectivity. It also leads to a false sense of security.

Take everything said here with a grain of salt.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Well, based on "certain" input so far, you have been led in the direction of this as an answer: ANYTHING. Any water you can throw at it! (as long as it is like a Whaler, you are good to go into anything on the seas.).

Now a discriminating buyer knows that this can't possibly be the case. Let's see here, since a surfboard doesn't sink, does this imply a surfboard should be used a few miles offshore, or in rough seas? Will this make the experience a pleasure? Is this the purpose of such a 'vessel'. No.

Bigger boats.... heavier boats... with deep hulls, tend to be the choice for tougher conditions.

I personally feel that there comes a time when people go beyond advising buyers and go right into selling. What gets lost by the seller is a sense of objectivity. It also leads to a false sense of security.

Agree with ya philster. Just because a boat can take the water, doesn't at all imply that it should take the water. Heavy seas in a small boat, any small boat, are a recipe for disaster. Any boat can flip over, and the ride of flat, light boats in heavy water will put your kidneys up where your lungs are. I'll take the right big, deep-V for offshore comfort over a smaller boat anytime. The little boats were for the lakes and intercoastal.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Never said it was,nor did i advise anyone to attempt deep sea crusin in a 13' boat.What i was referring to was the ability of whalers & makos to stay afloat AND running while semi swamped. It was merely a rebuttal to your claims of it not being possible,i speak form experience..not theory.
and as i have hundreds of hours piloting boats thru every imaginable type of weather...i know of what i speak.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Never said it was,nor did i advise anyone to attempt deep sea crusin in a 13' boat.What i was referring to was the ability of whalers & makos to stay afloat AND running while semi swamped. It was merely a rebuttal to your claims of it not being possible,i speak form experience..not theory.
and as i have hundreds of hours piloting boats thru every imaginable type of weather...i know of what i speak.

I hear ya! Swamping the 13 footer in breakers over the side (drifted too close to a sandbar while catchin blues) was not fun. But I pointed the boat in the right direction, and gave it some throttle and the water just went out of the transom cut out. Pulled the plug and it was dry soon after. I wasn't, but the boat was. I half swamped the 15 footer while anchored near a channel when a BIG off-shore boat came off throttle and waked me good. He was probably trying to be nice.....

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hear ya! Swamping the 13 footer in breakers over the side (drifted too close to a sandbar while catchin blues) was not fun. But I pointed the boat in the right direction, and gave it some throttle and the water just went out of the transom cut out. Pulled the plug and it was dry soon after. I wasn't, but the boat was. I half swamped the 15 footer while anchored near a channel when a BIG off-shore boat came off throttle and waked me good. He was probably trying to be nice.....

Yea, thats alot of my experience with jettys - Inlets and big cruisers..down here there's the Little River Inlet..great fishin..especially at outgoing tide, but when the big dogs come back in...running 15 knots..outgoing tide...50-60' of boat creates a hell of a wake...But it is there right of way...wadda ya gonna do?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Since you were all unable to keep this civil.... Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.